The Facts

"Every time Ben leaves the house now..."

"Part of me goes into suspended animation. It helps me just to concentrate on the facts."

_____

Bailey absentmindedly spoke as she watched her hands move into Matthew's body cavity. He'd just came from an accident.

Soon after, they later found April Kepner, near death, moments later.

Everyone did all they could, not only for the sake of her, but for themselves. They couldn't lose their minds, because everyone was relying on them for directions.

"Well I don't have facts." Richard grew frustrated. Waiting and expecting was harder than you thought. Specially over one of your own.

"Well the facts are... Ben went to work to save people's lives. He's very good at it and until I hear otherwise, that's what I know." Bailey spoke surely.

"They have kepner— Hunt, Grey, Pierce. They're working to save her. They are very good at it. Those are the facts, that's what we know..."

"You're a very good chief." Richard spoke proudly in fact.

Everyone went into autopilot to make sure they were able to save a life today. One that meant so much to others and the hospital.

For Miranda... not just for Kepner— but for Ben. Her husband was fighting fires. A four alarm fire at that. She couldn't stress too much because she had a hospital to run.

She knew if anything happened she'd be the first to know at that moment.

As she walked the halls and spotted her Husband run inside she could finally breathe. Her facts were proven correct as she knew he'd make sure to come back to her always.

She walked straight into his arms. They held each other tightly. He'd known about the incident with Kepner and made it his duty when he was free to rush to the hospital.

Once she woke up and everyone knew she'd be okay they all left. Miranda held it together for her hospital. To uphold good spirits for her employees.

Upon making it home Ben and Miranda decompressed. Made sure to let the stress and tenseness fade as they showered together.

She made sure to keep her spirals and fear out of sight from Ben. She didn't want him worrying about her. She could handle his job and thats what she tried to show him.

Even though deep down she was having trouble.

Miranda stood hugging Benjamin's body as they stood under the water. She cherished these moments because the future is always unknown.

Eventually, she did some reading while he fell asleep next to her. Reading helped her stay collected. But as soon as she closed her book, thoughts flooded in.

Whether, she would lose her husband or if she would have to experience what Jackson did as April laid lifeless today. Her mind drifted deeper and deeper as she sat staring in the dark.

She turned to make sure he was asleep. Her hand traveled to his side. Making sure he was warm and he was breathing. She was frightened and that trauma traveled and went home with her.

When he shifted from her touch she sat back looking at her ceiling. Accepting her facts that he was home, in bed, next to her. He was safe and close.

She sat also accepting the fact that she succumbed to her stresses every night. Even though she knew Ben would want to know.

Her heart attack she remembered. At that moment Ben experienced exactly what Jackson did. The moment she was at the hands of death herself.

Her body turned looking into his face. His peaceful and beautiful face.

"Ben." She whispered.

"Benjamin." This time he heard and took a breath calling her name as well.

"Can you turn over? Please?" She asked.

He found himself blinking before turning on his back. Just then Miranda scooted closer and laid her head on his chest.

His heart beat was music to her ears. His arm wrapped around her and he pulled her closer, his hand resting on her hip.

Warm, beating heart, breathing. Those were her facts in this moment.

"I love you." She snuggled into his body as her face was in his neck. When he repeated the loving phrase she smiled as they drifted to sleep.