Chapter 22. Stuck in G-LOC

"Skywalker, level wings!"

Skywalker and Rooster were sitting next to each other as usual, but this time, Warlock was standing in front of the class as Maverick stood off to the side.

"Good morning." Warlock started as all of the pilots gave him their full attention. "The uranium enrichment plant that is your target will be operational earlier than expected."

Rooster and Skywalker both glanced at each other with wide eyes before turning their attention back to the Admiral. "Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days' time. As a result, your mission has been moved up one week."

Rooster and Skywalker shared a more apparent look this time, as well as others around the room. One week? There's no way they'd be able to do it. They'd barely been able to fly through their course.

It was almost as if Coyote read Skywalker's mind, he spoke. "Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course."

"Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on." Ava clenched her jaw at the Admirals instructions. She knew that this mission was dangerous, impossible even. But now it was becoming more real for her.

Rooster noticed her tense demeanour as Maverick walked to the front of the room. He watched as Skywalker bounced her leg anxiously with her hand squeezing her thigh. He brought his hand to hers, giving it a light squeeze as she turned her attention to him.

Skywalker flashed Rooster a half smile before turning their attention towards Maverick who was explaining the second half of the mission. Telling the students that, "It's the most difficult stage of the mission." 

Way to calm their nerves, Mav, He thought to himself before continuing his explanation of the second phase of the mission. "It's a pop-up strike with a steep dive, requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles."

 Skywalker could tell that the Captain was just as, if not more, stressed for this mission as everyone else. She listened intently as Maverick went into more detail, watching the simulation that played on the monitor. 

Everyone in the room was tense. Every time Maverick added something to the mission, the more impossible it seemed to be. Especially when it came to talking about Coffin Corner. 

Maverick talked about how climbing out would be a "Steep high-G climb out to avoid hitting this mountain."

"A steep climb at that speed, you're pulling at least eight G's." Hangman piped up, almost as if asking Maverick if he knew what he was doing.

"Nine. Minimum." Maverick shot the cocky pilot a smirk 

"The stress limit of the F-18's airframe is 7.5." Rooster added himself to the conversation. Looking at Maverick almost daring him to challenge him.

"Well, technically that's just the accepted limit." Skywalker spoke, looking over at Rooster who just gave her a blank stare in response. "I'm just saying." She spoke defensively at Rooster's demeanour, feeling like he was frustrated with her response.

"Thank you for bringing up that point, Skywalker." The women in question was startle by Maverick's sudden comment, unaware that he'd been able to hear her. "To survive this mission you'll pull beyond that, even if it means bending your airframe."

Skywalker cringed at his last words, imagining what Cyclone's face looked like right now. This wouldn't be the first time she's pulled a decent amount of G's. On her last mission with Maverick, she pulled an 8.7 which was a lot for her.

"And this is where you'll be at your most vulnerable. This is 'Coffin Corner.'" Maverick showed the class a simulation of two jets flying up a steep mountain. "Assuming you avoid crashing into this mountain, you'll climb straight up into enemy radar while losing all of your airspeed."