66. welcome home

Talia sat motionless in her sister's bed, she could smell her sister, her hair soap, the "special" laundry detergent that she scavenged that only she could use (it wasn't special it just smelt like citrus), she smelt her but she wasn't there

She had fought long and hard with Rick and Glenn, she wanted to go to Hilltop with Maggie and Enid, she wanted to help take care of them. No one would hear her out, Carl had to tug her away to let the crew take off with the injured. Carl promised her that Enid would be fine and that Hilltop would take care of both of them.

Enid was going to be fine, or so she hoped. She had bled a lot but not enough for it to be fatal, as long as she didn't get an infection she should be fine. Talia knew that, she knew how to take care of people so she didn't understand why she wasn't allowed to go.

She twisted her fingers into the comforter and threw her head back, trying to stop the tears from trailing down her face as she imagined herself back at the clearing;

Carl tugged her into the RV and didn't say much. She knew that he was going through the same mental hoops as she. Negan had taken Lennox, she was gone. They didn't know when they'd see her next and if she was going to come back looking like Enid, hell, if she was going to come back at all. They had just gotten each other back, and now they were apart again and it was destroying him.

"She'll be back," Talia offered but her voice cracked, failing her.

Carl didn't answer, he sat down at the table, his finger tracing over the new indent. Neither of them knew what happened between Negan and Rick in the RV but seeing everything a wreck and seeing blood- well they could imagine what went down.

"Daryl will watch after her, she-- she always comes back," Talia continued.

Still no answer from Carl.

She needed him to answer, she needed him to tell her that her sister would be back. That she was strong enough, smart enough, to escape Negan and his men. That somehow Daryl and her will arrive back in Alexandria tomorrow, totally untouched- alive. She needed to imagine that.

But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't. She just stood there, staring at the one-eyed cowboy hat-wearing boy that her sister fell in love with. His presence was nice, the two had grown to like each other throughout the years, they had to. Lennox loved her sister too much to date someone who didn't care for both of them. Yet nothing was comforting about him.

He had always been hard to read, typically, he was either angry or neutral, he didn't show much more than that around Talia. And while he sat there, she couldn't tell what he was feeling. Somehow he managed to look both angry and calm at the same time which seemed to be a dangerous combination for the Grimes family.

"Carl, she'll be back-"

"Did you see what he did to Abraham, Talia?" he grunted, his jaw clenched as he looked up at her.