Epilogue: Unconditionally

A.N: Dear Reader,
Sorry for the huge delay in releasing this chapter. When I mean huge, it really is huge. I was hesitant whether to post this or not. If you don't like sad things, please don't read this. Thank you for the amazing support.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Y/N," the male voice at the other end of the phone greeted. He took a deep breath.

"How do you do?"

"How do you do, Hajime? Visiting Shirakawa anytime soon?"

"Yes...of course. But this time I'll be coming by myself. Just me."

"I see. Give my best compliments to everyone there."

"How is Mitski?"

"She's fine. As boisterous and quirky as ever. I don't know where she got that from."

"I'm excited to meet her again. I'll be coming as soon as I get off work...in April, probably."

"She'll be happy to see her beloved Uncle Hajime too, I'm sure," Y/N chuckled into the mouthpiece.
"It's been twelve long years... I've got grey hairs already. I've missed you and Class of 77-B very sorely."

"I'm sorry."

"Haha now, what are you apologising for? I think Mitski's come home from school, I'll go welcome her. I'll await your call soon."

"Yes...and-"

"Hm?"

"N-Nevermind." The Ultimate Hope stammered.
"I'll...text you."

"How was school today?"

Y/N helped her daughter get her jacket off and hung it neatly on a hanger. The girl twisted her hair out of her braid and smiled.

"It was great! I came here as fast as I could! After all, today's the important day...I've been thinking about it non-stop!"

"Eat your lunch first. We aren't late. There's still a good half hour left."

"Mom...how old is that music box?" She ate her porridge while staring at the wooden box across the room from her, sitting lonely on the coffee table.

"As old as you."

"So...twelve years?"

"Mhm-hm."

"Where did you buy it? It's so pretty, so I want to buy a new one that looks cleaner and shinier for your birthday."

"Sorry, but please don't replace it. Your father gave that to me. I wouldn't trade it for the world."

"Dad?"

"Yes. On the Christmas of 2022...I remember that day well. I gave him a black suit in return."

"The one that's always hanging in his wardrobe in his room?"

"The very same."

"Well, we're going to meet him today! That's why I'm awfully happy!"

"Mitski..."
The woman sat on the rocking chair and placed the music box on her lap. She wound up the handle and felt it vibrate softly through her dress.
"You know what the tune of this music box reminds me of?"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Twelve years ago

"-anything you want at all, blueberries, pancakes, bitter gourd, meat, dumpling, you name it, I'll get it."

"I know, Nagito. Although I don't think I'll ever have cravings for bitter gourd..."