Eight - Not The Whole Truth

Emmi's POV:

Brooks and I waited for our mom to pick us up from the game. We won, which was a proud moment for the Lions. We hadn't won and gone to the playoffs in a decade. And to think Maddox and Wes would get to go in their last year of high school made me happy.

I looked at my phone to see more threatening and gross texts from Zach and sighed. I noticed a text from mom and mentioned that she couldn't come get us and to see if Gigi could bring us home. I groaned and put my head in my hands, knowing full well Gigi had left already. Everyone had left already. I wasn't about to call someone to come back just to take my brother and I home.

I searched around and saw a single vehicle in the student lot. I didn't recognize it, but I noticed Maddox leave the gym area. I think he noticed Brooks and I sitting on the curb, because he walked over with a kind smile. "No ride yet?"

Brooks pouted, "Mom can't pick us up. She's probably with dad trying to figure out the holidays."

Maddox raised his brows and glanced at me. "Need a ride home? I have the room for you both."

I shook my head, "No, I can't let you do that. I'm sure we are way out of your way home."

"Nonsense, Em. It's no trouble, really. Just get in. I need to know where you live anyway, if I'm coming to read with Brooks here weekly." He smiled and ruffled up my brothers hair.

I sighed and felt my phone go off again. I checked it and saw Zach for the hundredth time. I rolled my eyes, trying to hide my fear, but Maddox noticed. He took my phone before I could protest and looked at the messages from him. We locked eyes and I glanced to my brother, "Go to the car. We will be there in a second."

Brooks nodded and as soon as he was out of ear shot, Maddox confronted me. "How long has he been doing this?" He turned my phone to me, as if I didn't know what he was looking at.

I gulped and lowered my gaze, scared for my life. He seemed angry and I knew it was with me. Why wouldn't it be with me? "Four months ago..." I whispered. I automatically anticipated brutal contact, but when it didn't happen I looked up at him. I saw the anger in his eyes, but I could tell it wasn't with me. "Maddox?"

"Why did you stay with that...that" he paused. I could tell he was thinking of the right word to use. "bastard for so long?" I lowered my gaze, scared to answer. How was I supposed to explain to him that if I left before, it would have gotten worse? Not just the texts, but everything else that he doesn't know about. "Emmi, please, answer me." He sounded defeated.

I looked up at him with tears in my eyes, "I couldn't. Jamie couldn't either. The only reason he let us end it now was because we found out about each other. But it's like it never ended..." I broke down, harder than I had this morning.

I felt strong arms wrap around my body and I was crying so hard I didn't have time to react negatively to the gentle hug Maddox pulled me in. I instinctively wrapped my arms around his shoulders, coming from under his armpits and continued to sob. He never said a word, we just stood there and Brooks stood at the car.

Those four months were the longest four months of my life. The threats, the beatings, the disgusting texts, I wanted to be free from it all. But by the looks of it, it wasn't over, even if my relationship was, and that killed me inside.

It was several minutes before I calmed down and Maddox said something, "He's gonna pay."

I sniffled and pulled away, looking up at him. "What?" I wiped my nose with my sweatshirt sleeve.

"Zachariah Smith is going to pay for these threatening messages. You're relationship is over with him. He really needs to drop it." I watched his defined jaw clench and relax as he looked down at me. His large hand rest on my cheek and I flinched out of habit, but I felt his thumb brush my tears away. "You are too sweet to be hurt this way."

I felt his breath so close to my lips, but it was interrupted by my brother. "Sissy, I really have to go potty! Can we go home now?"

Maddox chuckled with a smirk. He stood up straight, releasing my cheek and turned to his Jeep. "Yeah, let's get you two home."