Thirty-Five - Hospital Check Up

Maddox's POV:

I sat at lunch, playing with my food while Wes talked. I was distracted with what Emmi and I spoke about and being worried about her. Wes snapped his fingers in front of me, "Hey, you're getting a call from Em." He said.

I looked at my phone and sure enough, it was Emmi. I answered it in a panic, "You okay?" I asked, looking at Wes as I talked with her.

"Doctor Numan said to come in as soon as I could...I need a ride." She told me. She sounded scared, "They want to do a CT scan..."

I stood up, keeping eye contact with Wes. "I'm on my way, Em. Just breathe." I hung up, grabbed my books and grabbed my tray, "I'll text you later. The doc at the hospital wants to see her."

Wes gave a sharp nod and I left the cafeteria. I ran to my locker and almost ran into a cheerleader I used to see. "Maddox! What's got you in such a hurry?" The brunette asked.

"Claire, I have to take a friend to her doctor's appointment." I grumbled, opening my locker.

"That Emmi girl? The one who used to date that one kid." She twirled her hair between her fingers.

"Zachariah? Yeah. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go." I grabbed my backpack, swung it over my shoulder and closed my locker. "Nice chat."

"Maddox, I miss you," Claire pouted, snaking her arms around my free arm.

I rolled my eyes, with a groan. I pulled my arm out from between hers, "Well I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm seeing someone else. And if you hadn't gotten over me in two years, then you need to move on and get over me." I spat. I looked up and saw Nikki walking towards us.

"Hey, everything okay? Where you off too, babe?" Nikki asked, knowing I was in a pickle.

Claire glared at Nikki and then turned to me, "That's who you're dating now? She's a band nerd!"

"You're point? I'm not into flings anymore. Besides, she's nicer than you were and cares. Doesn't just want sex." I growled.

Nikki slid her arms around my free one, booting Claire out. "Leave him alone." She spat and pulled me to the direction I needed to go. "Is Em okay?" She asked after we got out of ear shot.

I nodded, "Yeah. Doc just wants to see her. The bruise isn't getting any better and she needs CT scan, making sure everything internally is okay and not worse than we thought."

Nikki could see the worry in my eyes, "Do you want me to come with you? For support for both of you?" She offered.

I thought about it and knew Emmi would be happy to see her bestie for more support. "Sure. I'm sure she'd love extra support."

Nikki smiled, "Alright. Let me grab my stuff. I know how much she hates confined spaces, so CT scans aren't her favorite thing to get."

"Oh? I didn't know that. Good to know." I made a note in the back of mind to not take her cave exploring any time soon.

We headed to Nikki's locker and I waited for her to get books. Once she was finished, we headed to my car and took off to Emmi's house. Nikki sat up front until we got to the house and then she moved to the back. I went to get Emmi and helped her in the car. She thanked me and pulled her knees in so I could shut the door.

I got in on the other side and looked at Emmi and then to Nikki, "You ready?"

Emmi just nodded and Nikki poked her head in between us, "Yup." She smiled.

Emmi jumped and she looked to see her best friend in the car. She looked between Nikki and I, confused. "What's going on?"

"I wanted to come with...I know you don't like confined spaces, Em. I figured you'd need more support." She smiled softly.