Seventeen - Nightmares in a Hospital Room

Maddox's POV:

I reached for Emmi, but I couldn't grab her. Zach had her in a tight hold and starting his beating. I tried to rip him off, but I couldn't get a good grip. He batted me away with each punch he threw as he sat on top of her chest. I could see all his weight sat there and I felt tears fall down my cheeks.

I looked behind me to see the other girl that came to the park with Zach not do a single thing. She looked stunned yet it wasn't phasing her. I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like she was enjoying it. "Get off of her!" I yelled.

It was no use. The only thing that was going to work was calling the cops. I took my phone out and dialed 9-1-1, but the girl stopped me. "Don't you dare answer them. She deserves this."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Did they both really believe Emmi deserved what was happening to her? She didn't deserve any of it. She was pure and innocent, caring and kind.

I forced my hand up to my ear and heard the dispatch woman on the other end. "Someone is getting beaten in Honey's Park at the playground. Please, come quick." I told her. She said someone was on their way and so was an ambulance. I hung up and I felt my gut wrench, knowing I was unable to do shit. I heard Zach yelling at Emmi as he pummeled her, but I couldn't make out what he was yelling.

I jolted awake, breathing heavy. I looked around, taking in my surroundings and noticed I was in a hospital room, curled up in a recliner. My eyes darted to the bed and saw Emmi asleep. My gut wrenched as I watched her breathe steadily. I felt responsible for what happened earlier. I didn't try hard enough to stop him from beating the sweet, innocent girl lying in the hospital bed in front of me the day before Thanksgiving. I could feel tears wanting to fall, but I swallowed my cries. I hadn't shed a tear since Penelope, and I wasn't about to now, even if they were for different reasons. I looked at my phone and saw three in the morning. I also saw tons of texts from Wes and a few calls from my mom.

I hadn't told her or Wes what happened or where I was. I wanted to make sure Emmi was okay before I said anything. I read the slew of texts from Wes and read the last one closely. "Check the news. I think you're on it." Shit. That chick must have recorded it or something without me noticing. I clenched my fists just thinking about it.

I clicked my internet browser and searched for anything new on the news over the past twelve hours and sure enough, Emmi and I were on it. I made sure my volume was down before clicking the video and watching what they had to say.

Surprisingly, it was nothing bad against me. Zach was arrested and the chick he was with was questioned and let go. I sighed, hoping this was the last of Zach, but I had a feeling it wouldn't be. I turned the video off and shoved a hand in my front jeans pocket as I scrolled through Portrait. I felt paper and I pulled it out. It was Emmi's doodles that got ripped. I put the two pieces back together and read their story.

It looked like once upon a time, Emmi felt loved and whole. Then I started to tease her in class, but it didn't seem to bother her, just annoy her. I smiled, since that was my goal. And then Zach and her split and her heart shattered with it. That's all she knew, even if she knew it wasn't actually love. The next one was Wes and I worrying over Emmi and her change in mood. And lastly, was her giving me her heart and I was kissing her on the cheek. The heart she was giving me looked to be patched up with safety pins, string and bandages.

My heart swelled at the last one and I looked up, making sure Emmi was still asleep. She was and I wasn't going to wake her. She needed her rest as much as I did, but I'd be sleep deprived for her any day. I couldn't believe what I saw from her doodles. It looked like she felt the same way as I did. Now the only question was, how were we going to admit it to each other.