Fourty - A Court of Butterflies and Hornets

Maddox's POV:

It was Wednesday, December twenty first and the day of the court hearing. I got up around six a.m. to get ready since we needed to be there for eight. I set my nicest church clothes out on my bed and got in the shower. Yeah, bad boy goes to church on occasion, shocker.

My shower was quick and when I got out and dried myself off, I threw on boxers before going into my room. I looked at the black suit that I set out and sighed. Last time I wore it was Prom the year before. It wasn't the greatest night of my life, but it wasn't the worst either. I shook my head getting the memories out and grabbed the slacks. I grabbed my white button down and tucked it into my slacks before putting my black jacket on, buttoning both buttons for now.

I went back into my bathroom and actually brushed my hair instead of combing my fingers through it. This was important, so I needed to look my best. I brushed my teeth, put some cologne on and headed to the kitchen.

My mom was already in the kitchen making breakfast when I walked in. I kissed her on the cheek with a smile. "Morning, mom."

"Morning, honey." She took a whiff of the air, "Since when have you worn that cologne?" She turned to me with raised brows.

I scratched the back of my head as I let out a light chuckle, "It's not necessarily a special occasion, but it's an occasion that I thought needed it. I know, it's been a while."

"Yeah, five years a while. Last time you wore that, your father and I were getting divorced." My mom went back to cooking and chuckled softly.

"What's so funny?" I asked getting some coffee from the pot she brewed.

She turned around with a plate of food in her hand, "Just that you have a special cologne for certain occasions. It's cute." She set it down in front of me with a smile.

My cheeks flushed, "Mom..." I mumbled into my mug. I grabbed my fork and started eating quietly.

My mom set another plate down opposite of me and began eating herself. "You okay, honey?"

"Yeah, just worried that today won't go well. I know Zach won't plead innocent, but it's a small possibility that it could happen." I took a bite of my eggs and looked at my mom. "What if things go haywire?"

She reached for my free hand and rested hers on top, "Maddox, I know for a fact it won't. There is evidence against him, and evidence doesn't lie." She took her hand away and looked me in the eyes, "The girls will win, Maddox. I know it."

I sighed, "Thanks, mom. I should probably get going. Emmi wants me there early to keep her calm, since she's a ball of nerves and anxiety. I'll call during recess, if there is one, to let ya know what's going on." I stood up and brought my plate to the counter. "You can put what I didn't eat in the fridge. I'll eat it tomorrow morning." I kissed her on the cheek and gave her a hug. "I love you, mom. Give the kiddos hugs for me."

"I will, honey. I love you too. Drive safe!" She called as I left the house.

I spun my new Jeep's keys in my hand with a smile. Finally, my own car again. It was charcoal and newer than I planned on getting. I wanted a twenty nineteen model, but then I sat in the twenty twenty-one model, and I was in love. Leather seats that could heat in winter, car doors that came off for the summer, and the smoothest vehicle I have ever driven. Emmi liked it too, considering she helped me pick it out the week before.

I got in, let the engine hum to life and hummed myself, rubbing my hands on the steering wheel. My heart thumped so loud in my ears. My nerves rose as I imagined the worst happening. "Damn it, Maddox. Emmi needs you calm, not a bucket of nerves. Breathe." I convinced myself.