Chapter 6: Foolproof Plan

It was early Sunday morning, a week later, when Minister Kim took his wife and son on a car ride somewhere. Since it was a personal business, he minimized the security protocol and went low-key by bringing only one bodyguard who also served as their driver. The Minister also used his private car, not the official ministry vehicle like the one he always used on a daily basis.

"Be careful, Sir!" Jung Hoseok said in a very concerned voice, not about the car ride, but more about the person that the Minister would meet today. They didn't have a clue where this was going to lead, but that was exactly why Minister Kim wanted to come today. He wanted to know what cards would be offered to him.

"Where are we going, exactly?" Seokjin got into the passenger seat beside the security guard, while his parents were sitting in the back of the sedan.

"You'll see." Minister Kim simply said. They were going on a weekend family getaway in a private villa by the beach....

Mh, not exactly! This would actually be a confidential meeting that determines their further fate.

*****

***

.

A week earlier at Kim Ji-hwan family manor, in the evening after the luncheon...

Kim Taehyung parked his car in front of his parents' house—-or rather "a manor"—-and impatiently trotted into the dining room where his parents were currently enjoying their lovely dinner.

"Tae?" Seeing his youngest son, Mr. Kim Ji-hwan chuckled. "I suppose you came here regarding the internet uproar about you and Seokjin?"

"Dad, you knew all along that Jin is the Health Minister's son, didn't you? That was why you invited him to the luncheon in the first place, huh?" That was more of an accusation than a question. Taehyung kissed his mom's temple, took a seat, and grabbed a piece of chicken from the nearest plate.

"Taehyungie, wash your hands first! I didn't raise you like a caveman!" His mother slapped Tae's hand lightly. Taehyung just shrugged.

"Do you like that boy, Tae?" Mr. Kim asked.

Taehyung stopped chewing and focused his attention on his father. "Would it make any difference if I do?" He grabbed a fork and stabbed another slice of chicken.

"Well of course! I can get him for you if you want, but there's one condition!"

"I'm listening."

"This is for the long term, not for fooling around. I don't think the Minister would be happy if you only fool around with his only son. You understand, that Tae?"

"Please continue, Dad..."

"No more wild adventure. Be committed fully, preferably engage soon—-"

Taehyung choked on the chicken, then coughed rapidly.

"Slow down, slow down, Taehyungie!" His mother patted his back.

"Exactly, Mom! Slow down, Dad!" Taehyung said between his panting breaths. "You suddenly want me to get engaged?!!"

"Not right away, Son! But you get what I mean. It's for your mother's peace of mind."

"And what's there for you, Dad?"

"Well, of course there's something for me too."

"I bet it's the biggest advantage of all, huh?" Taehyung snickered.

"I'm a businessman, Tae. I invest in people, too." Mr. Kim answered in a calm manner. "I need the Minister to be on board with me regarding our new psychotropic drug. It has a big market and will be a big source of money, but also bear a big risk. Nothing harmful or illegal, but it's an extremely sensitive case. So, having him on our side will smooth everything over. And I'd like to take care of this kind of thing on a personal level. It will be less fussy."

"I see." Taehyung nodded.

"One thing you have to understand, Tae, convincing the Minister won't be easy! Taking his son right into our family luncheon this noon was a first step to draw the Minister's attention to me. At first, I didn't think that things would turn out this ugly. That was unfortunate. I would have to call the Minister to apologize for exposing his son to the media. His son's sexual preference apparently is still kept secret up until now. His opponents might use it against him, especially if the Minister is going to run for the presidency. And since the speculation about it is getting wild on the internet right now, the Minister had to have a safety net. That is exactly what I will offer him!"

"Tsk! You spit the venom, then offer him the antidote, huh?"

"It's just a business, Tae. I saw a chance and I grabbed it, it was a spur of the moment. And for the record, I'm not going to harm him any further than I already did. I'll clean up my mess."

"What if the Minister makes a statement tomorrow morning to clear things out and deny that his son is gay?" Taehyung put the fork away and chugged down some water from his mother's glass.

"That is precisely my biggest bet, will he choose his son over his career?" Mr. Kim sipped his wine slowly.

Taehyung sighed. "If you only want him to approve that new psychotropic drug, why would you want me to have a long relationship with his son, though?"

"His tenure at the Ministry will still last for another year. That will be a big advantage for me. And if he runs for the presidency, that would be even better. So, you see, I don't want you to suddenly ruin my good relationship with him because of his son. Take my offer only if you really want the boy." Mr. Kim raised his eyebrows at Taehyung in a challenging manner. "Because I still can go on to make a deal with the Minister without involving his son anymore."

"I... I want him, Dad..." Taehyung stuttered shyly. "Please, proceed with whatever your plan is." His answer made Mr. and Mrs. Kim glance at each other and grin.

Right at that moment, Kim Namjoon barged into the dining room with a red hue on his face. "Seokjin is the son of the Health Minister?!!! Sheesh! He said his father was a public servant! Shit! I embarrassed myself in front of him!"

"A public servant?" Mr. Kim and his wife's eyes widened, while Taehyung laughed hard at his big brother.

"That's for aggressively interrogating my boyfriend!" He exclaimed in satisfaction and tossed his mother's wine glass into the air, then sipped it nonchalantly.

Mr. Kim giggled and shook his head. "I like him! I like that boy already, Tae!" 

"Take a seat and have dinner with us while you're here, Joonie!" His mother was still giggling seeing his smart—-yet awkward—-eldest son.

Mr. Kim Ji-hwan stood up and was ready to leave the dining room. "Now, will you excuse me," he said. "I have to call the Minister."

*****
.
.
.
Tongue Twister Challenge:
Say the title "Foolproof Plan" 10 times, fast!
🤭😁