Chapter 8: Gentlemen's Agreement

A banquet of mouthwatering Korean dishes was served for lunch at Mr. Kim Ji-hwan main villa. The boys came down from Taehyung's bedroom on the second floor with damp hair and freshly smelled like soap. They put on poker faces and tried to look innocent after doing all the dirty up there.

Minister Kim was still very cautious and guarded, despite Mr. Kim Ji-hwan's casual and laid-back attitude toward him. Meanwhile, both of Mrs. Kims seemed to get along well with each other despite their background differences. While Minister Kim's wife was a pure scientist, Mrs. Kim Ji-hwan's wife was a philanthropist who was now the Chairperson of the Kim Pharma Foundation, a nonprofit organization for healthcare philanthropy, which funded and provided care for patients with severe diseases, such as cancer and heart disease patients.

The boys didn't talk much during lunch, especially Seokjin who refrained himself and somewhat was more reserved. He didn't want to affect or incriminate his father's judgment and decisions in whatever concern he had to discuss with Mr. Kim Ji-hwan today. That was why Seokjin tried hard to not show any affection toward Taehyung in front of him.

.

After the lunch, Minister Kim and his family were assigned to stay in the second villa, so they could have some privacy. And in that hot noon, while all of the parents rested in their respective villas, the boys were God knows where, doing God knows what.

When the heat was already tame down, both of Mrs. Kims were having a nice afternoon tea and enjoying each other's company on the porch, talking about their interests and hobbies at first. Then about their children, or to be exact: their children's most embarrassing moments—-every mother's favorite subject. That included Seokjin's statement to Namjoon that his father was only "a public servant". This story would seemingly be remembered and engraved in stones and would be brought up at every upcoming family gathering for the next 20 years or so. Who knew, laughing at their sons could actually create a bond together and bring them a little bit closer.

With the warm beverages, assorted petit fours on the coffee table, the picturesque view before them, and a good laugh, their afternoon was quite pleasant.

.

Meanwhile, in the other room, the ambiance was rather solemn as the gentlemen discussed something more serious. First of all, Mr. Kim Ji-hwan expressed his deepest apology for the second time, and offered any help needed to fix things.

Minister Kim only replied with a small smile. "When you asked me to bring Seokjin along, I was wondering what your intention was." He said slowly.

"And have you found out?"

"Hm." He let out a short chuckle. "When the news was freshly circulated on the internet, it crossed my mind once to immediately deny the allegation that my son is gay; first, to protect him from public scrutiny and bullying; and second, to selfishly save my career." He paused. "Now I know why you asked me to bring Seokjin.... After seeing the boys together, how could I possibly have the heart to deny them?"

Mr. Kim Ji-hwan cackled. The Minister could read his move.

"I see that you want to unite the boys, but you have to know, there's a high price that my son and I have to pay for being open and honest like this. Society won't let us go easily, nor my political opponents."

He nodded and still listened to the Minister intently.

"Seokjin is currently working at a government research facility under so many old folks with old mindsets as his superiors; and some young co-workers who don't even bother to hide their envy toward my son. With his sexuality in question, he was so prone to bullying there. As for me, my future career is also under threat right now. I'll be straightforward, Mr. Kim, what exactly do you have to offer... and in exchange for what?" The Minister spoke frankly.

Mr. Kim Ji-hwan chuckled and shook his head. This man was so bold and blatant. Was it because of his background as a scientist? Before he entered politics, Kim Seung Won was one of the most brilliant Biomedical Engineers in the country. He also became an honorary lecturer at several well-known universities on this subject. He climbed his career ladder quite fast and finally became the chief of the National Medical Research Center, the biggest medical research institute in South Korea under the Health and Welfare Ministry.

That was good, though! So Mr. Kim Ji-hwan didn't have to beat around the bush. "Well, about that, Sir...." He started.

***

.

Taehyung's mother watched his son and Seokjin cheerfully playing volleyball on the white sandy shore. They looked so happy being in each other's company. She could hear their laughter burst merrily from time to time, like they were having the best time of their lives.

"What do you think about them?" She asked the woman in front of her who was also watching the boys.

"I haven't seen my Jinnie like this in a while. He was always calm and reserved. Try hard to be a responsible son and always keep his behavior in check for the sake of his father and me. But right now, he looks so happy and carefree."

"As a mother, I just want my son to find happiness, too. And he seems to have found it in your son." She added.

The other woman nodded solemnly.

"They look so good together, don't you think?" She asked again.

Seokjin's mother smiled. "I guess yeah..."

"Well, I think we agree about it, then." Taehyung's mom smiled in relief.

***

.

"Come on!" Taehyung caught the ball and threw it aside.

"Where?

"To a hidden place where we can make out—-"

"Tae!"

Taehyung giggled. "Our mothers are watching us there." He then cheerfully waved at them who sat on the porch, and they waved back at him.

"Let's just walk around, try to find some shells or maybe sea glasses." Taehyung stretched his hand to hold Jin's. "I really have a good time with you, you know." He said while looking at the other. Jin only smiled.

They walked along the beach hand in hand. "Let's meet again.... In secret, I don't care, Jin. Let's just meet again!"

"Tae..."

"What does your heart want?" Taehyung faced him now. His hands circled Jin's neck. His body moved closer to close the gap between them. "Don't you want me, too?" He whispered in a deep husky voice. "Don't you, Jin?" His eyes pleaded.

For Seokjin, their future seemed bleak and uncertain. He couldn't even answer that question. He couldn't promise anything. So he just sealed Taehyung's lips and kissed him with all his heart. After today, Seokjin didn't know when he could kiss Taehyung again, having Tae in his arms again.

Like this.

Like now...

*****