Chapter 19: A House

"W-what, a house???" Seokjin was dumbfounded. Taehyung too, but not so much. He knew his father would do this kind of thing.

Meanwhile for Seokjin, that news struck him out of the blue. Mr. and Mrs. Kim were inviting him and Taehyung for dinner tonight, when they suddenly dropped that news and shared some pictures of a huge house.

"We found this good one. Take a look at the pictures and see if you like it. I heard you two wanna move in together for quite some time, but the security protocol hindered that." He reasoned. "So I talked to Hoseok about the possibility. He said it's indeed trickier to apply a tight security procedure for the President's son in your current condo, Tae, since the building has several units of condos, so you also have neighbors. Too many people are involved and the area is too vast to be covered too. So, a single house is the solution." He shrugged nonchalantly and sipped his wine. That nonchalant attitude was passed well to Taehyung, obviously!

Jin already knew that possibility, but still...

Taehyung glanced at Jin who was still silent. Since he didn't mind about the house, this is for Jin to decide. He would let Seokjin have the say for now.

"Jin Honey, we haven't really bought the house. Just see it first. If it is to your liking, only then we will buy it." Mrs. Kim tried to persuade him. "Your abonim has chosen a strategic location, not too far from your office, so you can commute easily. If you don't like it, we could always ask the real estate agent to find the most suitable one."

Seokjin's head spun. Many thoughts revolved in his murky mind.

"Hoseok said a house will be easier to manage, Son." Mr. Kim gave him another reason. "If you agree, he will start to plant an extensive security system, build several guard posts, and install all the CCTV cameras around the house and the vicinity. They will need some time to do all of those and we better do it quickly, so when your father moves to the Blue House, you'll also be ready to move to your own house."

"A-abonim..." Jin stopped there. The cat got his tongue.

"We don't wanna offend you or anything, Jin Honey." Mrs. Kim addressed the elephant in the room. "We know how much you don't wanna take our money and wanna be independent. But a house becomes urgency right now, and you both need not just any house, but a house big enough to accommodate all the security requirements for a president's family member. You'll need additional rooms for the guards, a camera control room, and all those necessities. Just take it as a gift from us. An advance wedding gift, if you may, doesn't matter when you two get married."

Seokjin was still silent. "I have to talk about it with Taehyung first." He finally said in a low voice.

Sometimes money spoke too loud and knocked him off to an absolute defeat. Making him helpless to choose what he truly wanted. Leaving him feeling inadequate. Scraping his dignity as a man.

.

They walked into Taehyung's bedroom in Kim's manor and Tae sat on the bed.

"Don't you wanna move in with me, Hyung?" Taehyung, who saw no problem if his parents wanted to give them a house, just pointed out the core issue. Wasn't that the most important thing right now, that they could finally live together?

"Tae..."

"We don't have money for a house that big. Just accept it, hm?"

Seokjin went silent again. He still stood up and crossed his arms on his chest in a defensive way. He looked away from Taehyung and thought hard.

"That amount of money means nothing to them anyway!" Seeing no reaction from Jin, Taehyung began to sound upset. "I'm their son, so practically it's my money too. And you know I will give you anything, let alone just a sum of money—-"

"Tae, enough!" Seokjin let out a sigh. "I'll pay half of the price. And the other half, I'll consider it as your part." He finally decided.

"Jin, do you even know how much money you have to pay for a big house in that strategic area, even if you only pay half of it?"

"It's decided."

"Do you know how strong-headed you are sometimes?!" Taehyung raised his voice.

"Don't raise your voice at me, Baby!" Jin talked in a calm but stern tone. "I might never be as rich as you are, but I wanna share our financial burden too. I will do it my way to be with you."

"You'll drain years of your precious savings! Didn't you say you wanna pursue a master's degree next year?"

"That can wait. I'll find a way."

"Jin! You're stupid!" Taehyung got up from his seat in anger. "I love you, but you're so damn stubborn and stupid!" He got out, slammed the door, and left the manor for real.

.

Seokjin went back to the living room to face the Kims and uttered his wish to pay for half of the house, if they should buy one.

Mrs. Kim argued that it was just a small amount of money compared to how big their love for Jin and Taehyung was, but Mr. Kim stopped her there, saying: "I understand, a man has to have dignity. I respect you and your decision, Son. I'll accept what you offer. Thank you for being the man that you're. I couldn't be more proud of you!"

.

Seokjin went home in his security guard's car to Taehyung's condo that night, since Taehyung was already gone, didn't know where to. His phone was off, so Jin texted Jimin and thankfully Taehyung was indeed at Jimin's apartment.

"Baby, come home when you're ready. I'll be at your condo. I love you."

That was the text Seokjin sent to Taehyung. He then waited, knowing he wouldn't get an answer anytime soon.

*****

*Blue House is South Korean Presidential Palace