33. Birthday

So it was my birthday a few days ago. Nate took me on a little cabin getaway near the beach. It was cute and I didn't want to leave, but we needed to get back for his birthday party. Well, our birthday party. Kat wanted to include me since she knew I was going to be swept away by the love of my life. I say love so much that I don't even think it is a good description of what I feel for him anymore. 

"Nate, are you ready?" I called grabbing the keys. I told him we were going to visit Sam and Colby for a bit before dinner. His birthday was tomorrow. 

"Yeah, sorry." He came out with his usual look. Plaid button-up, cuffed jeans, and boots. He wears it all the time and every time never fails to impress me. 

"Don't be sorry." I laughed opening the door. I gasped twisting the knob. "I opened a door," I said swinging it back and forth. He just stood there.

"Close it," He smiled and I walked out closing it. "That is not what I meant." He laughed moving out of the apartment. 

"Bye Gar," I called watching the cat tilt its head on the couch. I reached back grabbing his pinkie as I dragged him towards the car. 

"Music choice?" He asked as he got in the passenger. 

"Your birthday's tomorrow, you pick," I turned the car on.

"Ooo, okay," He leaned away from me to pick a song. I just rolled my eyes and drove off. We were a few minutes late. We were doing perfectly. Nate played several new songs I haven't heard, but I told him to add them to my playlist. He happily did. When we arrived there were no other cars there except the usual three. 

When we walked inside the light were off. 

"Uh," I said stepping forward.

"They finally caused a power outage," Nate chuckled closing the door behind him. 

"Happy birthday!" Everyone shouted as the lights came out. I squinted and looked at the ground rubbing my eyes.

"Jesus," I muttered.

"Flashbang!" Colby yelled as well coming forward to hug Nate. "Happy birthday man!" 

"Finally 25," Sam said as he hugged him as well.

"Where's the alcohol!?" I yelled moving towards the kitchen.

"You already know!" Kat yelled back. I saw she had a variety this time. 

"Ball me," I closed my eyes and reached my hand out. She put a buzz ball in my hand. I opened my eyes to see a green apple. I grimaced at first and then opened it sniffing. "Doesn't smell too bad." I chugged it wanting to get past the burning and shivering. 

"Where is my wife!" I heard someone yell.

"Check in!" I raised my hand reaching for another ball. "I could get used to you calling me that." Nate came around the corner smirking as he grabbed the drink from me. He turned it around.

"I would too. Ooo, grape." He cracked it open drinking all of it.

"Those are the good ones," I said hopping up on the counter.

"Are those even good?" Colby asked joining us. The music from the living room followed us in along with some of the guests. They were all people Nate has known.

"Happy birthday," Stas said hugging Nate. "Happy belated my love." She hugged me next. She handed me a box.

"What is this?" I asked. "I told you no gifts." I shook my head.

"I know, but still," Stas gestured to the box. I opened it, exposing the little pendant. It was crystal. "Amanda said it would help when you go on investigations with these yahoos." I laughed.

"Thank you, so much." I leaned forward hugging her. "It will go nicely with the necklace from Africa," I said exposing the pearl.

"Oooo it really does," Kat said. Nate held his hand open, I put the necklace in it and he put it around my neck gently moving my hair. 

"Alright now, what are we thinking? Drinking game, more dancing, seance?" Colby asked and we all looked at him. "I was just joking." He laughed backing up a step.

"Dancing!" Sam yelled from behind us. He was standing on the kitchen table dancing to Shakira's hips don't lie and he was killing it so far.

"Damn Sam!" I yelled cheering him on. He reached for Kat and got her up there as well.

-------------

Champagne was opened, I don't know when or how, but I was drenched. We were also out by the pool so of course. I was in the pool now. Kat gave me one of her swimsuits. It was like a sort of shower. We were lounging by the edge just relaxing to Taylor Swift, but then we heard the boy's shouts.

"Oh god," I rolled onto my forearms looking near the house. I saw Sam's blonde hair as he ran through the people.

"Woohooo!" He screamed diving into the pool.

"Be careful!" I yelled. The ground was wet and they could fall.

"Yeah!" Nate yelled doing a front flip into the pool. Colby was next, but he was not graceful at all. He did a belly flop. It was a loud one too. He came to the surface floating.

"Ahhhh," He yelled as he floated around.

"Well he wasn't so graceful," Stas laughed. I snorted and looked over at her.

"He never really is though," I heard a splash and saw Nate swimming over to me.

"Are you liking your birthday?" I asked and he shook his head back and forth throwing water on us girls. The other two girls cried out, but I just laughed. Yup, he's having fun.

"Sorry," He apologized to the other two as I shook my head at him. "I am." He nodded.

"Good because tomorrow you have another special day and I have something to give you tonight as well, but that's for when we get back to the apartment." He cocked a brow pointing at something sexual.

"We can do that too, but it's something else." I laughed at him.

"Ooo, I am interested. Maybe we should leave," He said pushing himself up onto the ledge.

"Not just yet," I teased leaning back against the wall. "You said you were having fun." I pointed out and he got back into the water.

"I am, but I have just as much fun spending time with you." He moved in front of me. I reached forward tracing the outline of the butterfly on his chest.

"An hour," I negotiated.

"Deal. Gar will be excited to see us as well." Nate's hand found my waist under the water pulling me towards him so he could kiss me before Colby started screaming his name once more.

"Nate! Get up here! The girls are going to rate our dives!" He waved for him to stand in the line. They acted like children sometimes, but it's just who they were. They were also funny as hell.

"I'm gonna win," Nate pushed himself out of the pool, his arms flexing as he hustled to their side.

"First one up is Sam!" I announced. He gave a bow before getting ready to dive. As he jumped Colby pushed him so his form was off. 

"Technical foul on Cole Brock!" Stas yelled.

"Noo," Colby pouted. Sam got to the surface and they his hands out wide flying his hair back.

"Dude!" He grumbled making his way back up there.

"You turn Colby," Kat laughed as they shoved each other. They kind of reminded me of those two twins off Alice in Wonderland. Colby was about to jump but stopped cowering back.

"Don't push me," He said to Sam.

"Here," Nate said holding Sam's hands behind his back. Colby got ready to jump and Nate let go of Sam's wrists. Sam shoved Coly into the pool making him half-flip. Colby came up laughing.

"I thought you were on my side," He pointed to Nate.

"I don't pick sides, I just want peace," Nate explained standing behind Sam just in case they tried to push him in. We were definitely going to be here longer than an hour if they keep this up. It won't just be a diving contest. Next, it will be the biggest splash, smallest splash, coolest move, and best flip. We may be here til 1 am.