Thirteen

𝙿𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚕𝚢 𝚘𝚗 𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙻𝚎𝚏𝚝 𝚃𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚜

Stella's heart pounded in her chest as she listened to the chaos erupting on the other end of the line. Bailey's terrified screams pierced through the receiver, mingling with the cacophony of twisting metal, screeching tires, and shattering glass.

"Bailey?" Stella's voice trembled with fear, her grip on the phone tightening as she strained to hear any response from her friend. "Bailey?!"

Silence engulfed the line, amplifying Stella's growing dread. Each passing second felt like an eternity as she waited anxiously for any sign of life from Bailey.

~~~

"What's wrong?" Kelly asked, his voice laced with concern, as he watched his wife pace back and forth in the firehouse's kitchen. "Stella, what's wrong?"

Stella took a moment to steady her racing heart, knowing she had to keep composed, especially for Bailey's sake. "Bailey was driving up here to visit since the NASCAR season is on pause for the time being," she explained, her words coming out in a rush. "But it started to rain heavily, and she called me for reassurance while she was driving through it."

Kelly's brow furrowed as he listened intently, sensing the gravity of the situation. "And then what happened?" he prodded gently.

"She said the rain was getting worse, making it nearly impossible to see," Stella continued, her voice trembling slightly. "I urged her to pull over and wait it out, but then I heard her scream and what sounded like a car crash."

Before Kelly could offer any words of comfort, the shrill sound of the siren filled the air, followed by the urgent dispatch over the PA system. Without hesitation, the crew sprang into action, their adrenaline pumping as they prepared to respond to the accident scene.

As they raced toward the location, Stella's hands trembled as she reached for her phone, her heart heavy with fear. She knew she had to inform Jay and Hailey, despite the dread of delivering such distressing news. With a heavy heart, she composed a message to Hailey, trying her best to convey the urgency of the situation while praying for Bailey's safety.

 With a heavy heart, she composed a message to Hailey, trying her best to convey the urgency of the situation while praying for Bailey's safety