Twenty Two

"Hey. We need to talk," Chase said, his voice carrying a hint of urgency, as he stood framed in the doorway of Bailey's apartment. His eyes held a mixture of apprehension and determination.

Bailey felt a rush of emotions flood over her at the sight of him. She stood before him, her mind racing with a thousand thoughts, unsure of what to say or how to react. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she motioned for him to enter, her heart pounding in her chest.

Chase stepped inside, his gaze following her every move as she closed the door behind her. The air in the apartment felt charged with tension, a palpable silence hanging between them like a heavy curtain.

As Bailey turned to face him, she saw the weight of his words reflected in his eyes. "Aren't you going to say anything?" Chase's voice broke the silence, cutting through the air like a knife.

"I don't have anything to say, Chase, so I'm not sure what you want me to say," Bailey said, her voice tinged with frustration as she folded her arms across her chest. "As far as I'm concerned, you have to say something, not me."

With a sense of urgency, Bailey pushed past him, her heart pounding in her chest. She needed space, air to breathe, anything to escape the overwhelming tension in the entryway. Despite the front door looming just behind her, she felt trapped, suffocated by the weight of unspoken words.

In the kitchen, Bailey attempted to busy herself with cleaning, though the room was already immaculate. It was a feeble attempt to distract herself from the turmoil swirling inside her.

"Bailey, stop," Chase's voice broke through her thoughts, his hand gently gripping her arm to halt her movements. "Look at me...please."

Reluctantly, Bailey ceased her futile cleaning efforts and straightened up, meeting Chase's gaze with a mixture of apprehension and resignation.

"I'm sorry. I messed up. Again." Chase's voice was heavy with regret as he stood before Bailey, his gaze pleading. "I was bombarded with questions the moment I left the care center, and one more just pushed me over the edge. I knew immediately that I screwed up. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I can't lose you."

Bailey's eyes welled up with tears, her heart heavy with conflicting emotions. "I don't want to lose you either, but I can't tolerate being yelled at for something beyond my control," she admitted, her voice wavering. "This is the second time it's happened, Chase."

"I know, and I will do everything in my power to ensure it doesn't happen again," Chase promised earnestly, his tone filled with sincerity.

"Chase, what should I do if it happens again?" Bailey asked, her voice tinged with apprehension. She knew there was a possibility he might snap at her again in the future. "I understand you'll try your hardest to prevent it, but what if it does?"

"If it happens again, you have my word that you can leave HMS and return home," Chase replied, his eyes locked on hers. "I won't even try to stop you. All I'm asking for is another chance. I genuinely won't survive losing you."

"I'm sure you'd be just fine if I left Hendrick Motorsports," Bailey mumbled, her voice heavy with uncertainty and hurt. She didn't intend for Chase to hear, but his keen ears caught every word.

"Is that what you think?" Chase's voice was laced with disbelief, his expression a mixture of shock and sadness. "Bailey, these last few days without talking to you have been hell. Anytime your name was mentioned, it physically hurt. When Ryan told me that you were considering leaving HMS and going home to Chicago, it felt like the world had been pulled out from under me, and I was in free fall with no way of stopping it. I rushed over here, praying to whatever was out there that you were still in North Carolina. You have no idea how relieved I was when I saw your car in the parking lot here because I knew I still had a chance to fix my fuck up."