Twenty

[Small time skip to Homestead Miami Weekend]

Bailey grinned as she strolled through the pits at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

"I can't wait to get back to Charlotte," she remarked, her voice laced with amusement, while Avery checked her phone.

"Why's that?" Avery inquired, her attention divided between her phone and Bailey.

"Because I'll finally be able to liberate the team's sweaty, funky-smelling NAPA firesuits from the hauler and let them air out for the next two weeks," Bailey explained with a chuckle. "With the races being so close together, I've barely had time to freshen them up. Thankfully, the next two races feature entirely different firesuits, so I can keep the hauler from smelling like a locker room."

Avery nodded sympathetically. "I should probably do the same with Ryan's gear. Speaking of which, guess what he did this time?"

"What's Ryan gotten himself into now?" Bailey asked, intrigued.

"Wait, wait, wait," Bailey interrupted, holding up her hand. "Let me get this straight. Ryan left his sweaty firesuit in your car, and now your car smells like a locker room?"

Avery nodded, a mix of frustration and amusement evident on her face. "Yep, that's pretty much the situation."

Bailey couldn't help but chuckle at the absurdity of it all. "Well, where is your car now?"

"Currently sitting in Ryan's driveway with the windows cracked open, trying to air out the stench," Avery replied, rolling her eyes.

"Why didn't you just leave it in his garage?" Bailey suggested, raising an eyebrow.

"Because then his entire garage would smell like a sweaty firesuit," Avery explained, her annoyance evident in her tone.

"Fair point," Bailey conceded, nodding in agreement. "But still, he made your car smell like his sweaty firesuit. I think leaving it in the garage would've been a fitting consequence."

Avery laughed, shaking her head. "You're probably right. Oh well, hopefully, he won't do it again."

The two friends continued walking through the pits, shaking their heads at the absurdity of the situation but finding humor in it nonetheless.

Bailey and Avery strolled leisurely through the bustling pits of Homestead-Miami Speedway, soaking in the atmosphere of anticipation and excitement that always preceded a race. The sun beat down warmly on the asphalt, casting long shadows from the towering grandstands as the scent of burning rubber and high-octane fuel hung in the air.

"I still can't believe we're here," Avery remarked, her eyes scanning the rows of haulers and teams bustling with activity. "Homestead always feels like the culmination of the season, doesn't it?"

Bailey nodded in agreement, her gaze drifting over the rows of brightly colored race cars lined up in preparation for the upcoming battle on the track.

"Yeah, there's something special about this place," she replied, a hint of nostalgia in her voice. "It's where dreams are made and championships are won."

As they continued their walk, Bailey's mind drifted to the weeks ahead. With the NASCAR season winding down, there was a sense of urgency in the air, a feeling that every race counted more than ever.

"Speaking of championships, how's Chase feeling about today's race?" Avery asked, breaking the momentary silence.

Bailey smiled, her thoughts turning to her boyfriend and his team.

"He's feeling good," she replied confidently. "The car's been fast all weekend, and the team's firing on all cylinders. I have a good feeling about today."