Twenty Four

After securing an eleventh-place finish at Indianapolis and a twenty-third-place finish at Kentucky, the anticipation was high as Bailey prepared for the All-Star race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

In the dimly lit lounge area of the hauler, Bailey sat at a makeshift desk, diligently checking her emails and managing the team's Instagram story. The air buzzed with excitement as she scrolled through notifications, her fingers tapping away on the keyboard.

The sound of the lounge door creaking open drew her attention, and she glanced up to see Chase emerging, his figure framed by the soft glow of overhead lights. He was clad in his crisp white and mint green Uni-First fire suit, a signature look that never failed to turn heads.

"How am I doing on time?" Chase's voice cut through the quiet, his gaze focused on Bailey as he adjusted his hat with practiced ease.

Bailey glanced at her watch, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "You have about ten minutes," she replied, her eyes meeting his with a reassuring nod.

Chase grinned, glancing at his watch. "New record," he chuckled, glancing back at Bailey. "Thankfully, everything's right outside the haulers, so it's not that far to driver introductions."

Bailey reached up, her fingers brushing against Chase's beard. "You know, I'm digging the beard look on you," she remarked, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "It's kind of sexy."

Chase's grin widened, and he pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Oh, yeah?" he teased, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. Leaning in, he planted a kiss on her lips.

Bailey chuckled against his lips, returning the kiss and looping her arms around his waist. "Maybe when we get home, we can put the beard to the test," she suggested playfully.

"We'll see. If you win the All-Star race tonight, then we'll definitely put the beard to the test," Chase replied with a wink, stepping back slightly.

"Deal," Bailey agreed with a grin. "But remember, I can't be in Victory Lane. Covid protocols, buddy."

Chase let out a resigned groan, a mixture of frustration and resignation evident in his tone. "Covid has ruined everything."

Bailey nodded in agreement, a wistful expression crossing her face. "Yeah, it's been tough. But hey, at least we're starting to see fans back in some capacity."

As they conversed, Bailey checked her phone, her brows furrowing slightly as she scanned through notifications. "We really should get going, though. Driver introductions are coming up, and we don't want you to be late."

Chase chuckled, falling into step beside her as they exited the hauler. "And whose fault would it be if I were late?"

A mischievous glint danced in Bailey's eyes as she turned to him. "Definitely yours."

Chase raised an eyebrow in mock offense. "How so? You were the one who couldn't resist complimenting my beard."

"Ah, but if you didn't look so good with it, I wouldn't have said anything," Bailey retorted, a playful grin tugging at the corners of her lips. "So really, it's your fault for growing such an irresistible beard."

With a laugh, Chase shook his head, knowing when he was beat. "Alright, fair point. But let's not dwell on my flawless beard for too long. We've got places to be."

Bailey nodded in agreement, her phone buzzing with a message from her parents. "Exactly. I need to go meet my parents. You better not keep them waiting."

"Alright. I'll see you at the pit box," Chase said, planting a quick kiss on Bailey's cheek before heading off to the driver introductions.

Bailey made her way toward the gate entrance, where she spotted her parents patiently waiting for her. With a smile, she greeted them with hugs, feeling a surge of warmth at their presence.