Part 6.2: Marvin's Mysteries

It took a lot less time than Marvin thought it would to catch up to the others in skill and power.

In fact, Marvin found that he couldn't stop. He kept putting power in his newly decorated mask with all four suits on the forehead and green in the ears. He always liked the colors green and purple. 

He constantly was reading and practicing, getting better and stronger. He was a natural. 

Of course, he tried to save some time for this new peers but his mind was more preoccupied than ever before. He had a crush on Evan before but now, that was all just a fleeting thought to him now.

Life was so much more to him than ever before. He could teleport, levitate things, create potions that could do anything and wanted, he could create illusions and even see tiny fragments of the future in the crystal ball Bee had gifted to him.

But he wanted more.

Hell, by this point, Marvin practically LIVED at Evan's apartment, learning and researching all he could.

"Um . . . hey, Marv?"

Marvin jolted out of his book and looked up at his friend, "Oh, hey, Ev. . . .what's going on?"

"Well . . . I've noticed you've been pretty buried in the books lately." Evan rubbed the back of his head.

Marvin shrugged, "Well yeah, I mean, you weren't like this when you found out about magic?"

"Well yeah, it's just . .  it's like you never have time to hang out with any of us anymore. You're . . kinda hoarding, actually."

"Hoarding? What's that supposed to mean?"

Sampon cleared his throat, "What he's trying to say . . uh . . . is that you need to be careful, Marv."

"Be careful?" Marvin laughed, "Why? I'm getting stronger every day"

"Exactly" Bee crossed her arms with grit, "Look, I guess it's our fault. We should have warned you"

Marvin was lost in the words of the book he was reading again, "'bout what?"

Bee lost her temper and slammed the book shut with a flick of her finger, "DAMMIT, MARV, LISTEN TO US!"

"I am!" Marvin stood up, suddenly getting defensive, "The hell, Bee?!"

"Look" Bee waved her arms out calmly, "The thing is . . magic can be addicting. There's a protocol every magician has to go through and that's self control. Without self control, you are weak."

Marvin glared her down, "I'm not weak"

"We know you're not, Marv" Sampon pat his shoulder, trying to diffuse the situation, "It's just . . . we know some people who've gone down the road you're on now . . . it didn't end pretty"

Evan crossed his arms and turned away, wandering off to the kitchen.

Marvin was confused. Why was Evan so upset, "What . . ..  how? What's wrong with Evan?"

Bee sighed, "Well . . . it was before we met Ev but he told us what happened.  . . . Do you mind if we talk about it, Ev?"

Evan cleared his throat from the kitchen and nodded, "Uh . . yeah . . . yeah, he needs to know"

"Right" Bee hummed, "Marv . . . Evan used to be a part of the Red Hearts. One of the most prestigious magician groups in the world. . . .he was one of the best."

"But he wanted more" Sampon carried on the conversation, "He uh . . he turned to Dark Magic. It's highly forbidden to even research or read about but Evan did. And trying to learn a spell from a Dark magic book . . .  he uh . . . "