Part 19: The Septic Family

The fight was over.

The war had been won.

Of course, some of them were still reluctant to believe it.

But Anti had finished him off in front of them. Destroyed the monster.

And yet no one was ready to really celebrate.

Sean felt the rough mood, heavy in the air, "Hey . . . isn't this what you guys wanted? He's dead! We should be out celebrating! Drinking! Buffets all around!"

Henrik sighed, "I do not know about you all . . .  but I am exhausted. Plus, I need to check over you all, make sure no one is concussed or worse since Marvin's potions were gone a while ago."

"Let's go to my universe first" Anti suggested, "At least we'll have a roof over our heads and we can all rest there for a bit, yeah?"

"My roof" Henrik reminded him, "Still my house even if it's the other me's"

With a quick flash, they all made it over to the other universe. No one argued about what to do. They just let Hen check them all over in silence and then went their separate ways to their rooms.

Really, Sean was annoyed by it but he couldn't blame them. HE didn't fight like they had to.

But he did know one thing. This was something he really wished HAD been a dream. All this horror and trauma they had to go through. 

He didn't want any of it. Was that really fair of him  to say, though? They didn't have the choice so why should he get one?

The next day, everyone gathered in the kitchen and Anti was cooking breakfast with Chase.

Everything was so quiet, though, like someone had died.

Henrik was sipping on some coffee, reading an old magazine.

Jackie was playing paper football on the table with Jameson.

And Marvin was staring at an old pack of tarot cards he had sitting in front of him.

Anti noticed it and spoke up, "You know, staring at those things is just as useless as truly believing them. The cards don't decided your future. You do"

Marvin just rolled his  eyes, "Yeah . . . . Yeah, I know. But . . . something just feels . . . bitter about all of this. Doesn't it?"

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked to the magician who wouldn't tear his eyes away from the deck.

"I mean . . ." Marvin tried to rephrase, "Something feels incomplete. Like this shouldn't be the end"

"There never really is an end, though, is there?" Jackie mumbled, "Isn't that what we were fighting for? We survived. Yes, it's strange but we just  . . . we move on"

'What will each of us do now?' Jameson signed, 'Honestly, I have no clue what I'll do. It's not like I have anyone waiting for me in my universe"

"None of us do" Chase turned off the heat on the bacon and put it on some paper towels. He cleared his throat, though, trying to push a point, "Except for you" he stated to Sean.

Sean swallowed, "I  . . . yeah, that's kind of awkward isn't it?"

"Not at all" Henrik took off his glasses, rubbing at his eyes, he was so tired, "It just means you have family waiting for you. We should get you home soon so no one worries"