Chapter 8

The doors unlock and I fall in relief.

"I should get over this petty fit, I am going to get myself killed." I whisper, I look down at my leg, it started throbbing when I was on the stairs, but I didn't want to think about it.

That's when I hear some maniac's laugh. That's kind of scary, I slowly get up. And walk out of my cell.

"I had a feeling you were the Jack of Hearts." Chishiya says coming out of his cell.

I guess he got lucky or got the answer from someone.

Emo guy was in the top two, it was him or that girl. I sit on the ground in pain, the adrenaline rush was over now that we found the Jack.

Now we just had to lie to him.

Then I could relax for a day and sleep, even though we've been here for less than 24 hours. I was tired.

"But how did you..."

"You teamed with Banda right away, and he's a murderer so it made sense." Chishiya starts explaining.

That's why something felt off about that man.

"Even if somehow, you were moved by Banda's speech, I knew you wouldn't trust him. You don't trust strangers, at least not that quickly."

Another door opens, revealing Banda. "Most people won't even talk to a guy like me. But you wanted to kill me. I could see that right away, but I wanted to see if you were smart, or just stupid, or if you were a true psychopath."

"You mean..."

"You thought you were controlling me the whole time. But that was me manipulating you to think that. In the end, your superiority complex gave you away." Banda continues.

"That kind of self-importance usually comes from being put in a special position. Something that made you untouchable. Like being the Jack." Chishiya says.

"You guys are wrong about this. Banda is the Jack of Hearts." He says insisting it.

Poor guy, guess he is not as smart as he thinks.

"Sorry, kid." Yaba walks out, "it's not Banda."

"You and Kotoko were connected. I told her her symbol. And yet, she still died. Which means, someone other than me was manipulating her."

"Well, then, you should be accusing this guy instead." The guy says now pointing at Chishiya.

"Every time I went to the cafeteria, you and Kotoko would always be there, getting snacks at the same time. And each time, it was the same kind of snack. It was your secret way of communicating. Both of you were pretending to be controlled. There were four different flavors of that snack. You would confirm your symbol by the packaging, using them as a code. I caught on pretty quickly."

I saw that too, but I couldn't tell which one was the Jack.

"And then, you told Kotoko to give me the wrong symbol. I trusted her. Except at the end of course." Yaba says.

"When did you start working together?" The guy asks.

"Well, the first announcement said this game is about how much we can trust one another. So we simply followed that principle. In order to gain one's trust, you can't control, manipulate or guide them in any way. It's called equality." Yaba explains.

There is silence, nobody really paying attention to me, which is perfect, I am surrounded by psychopaths.

"Wait a second? What makes you sure it's me?" The guy asks. "You don't have proof."

"You sure about that?" Chishiya asks him.

"Huh?"

"Just think about it. If they thought you were the Jack, why are you still here? Why didn't Banda lie? The only reason you are alive is because you are the Jack. And they planned to keep you alive because they want information. Chishiya says as he walks over to him.

The guy thinks, then his eyes go wide as he turns to face the other two guys.

Poor guy, he won't last long with those two working on getting the information.

"Round 14, start." The computer says.

The next hour was the last hopefully, I think sleepily.

Chishiya walks over and sits down next to me.

It's awkward silence, soon to be filled with screaming.

"Mind telling me what that was all about?" He asks me, referring to me avoiding him.

"In time, maybe, if we survive."

"Hm, then I might never hear it if you keep trying to get yourself killed."

"Maybe I'll drag you along." I smirk sighing and I shift again. My leg is still healing so it's just annoying that I still have to deal with it.

"Well if you want to maybe I'll let you."

My eyes widen and my face heats up a little.

"You know what? You might just annoy me in the afterlife too. So, maybe I shouldn't." I cover my face a little and he laughs.

"That's all the more reason for me to want to go."

We go back and forth insulting one another, until we are able to get out of this prison.

This was probably the most stressful game, well besides the King of Spades game. I am not excited to face him again.

My combat skills are limited, so I would have to surprise him, outsmart him, or toy with him. None of the options are in my favor though.