Chapter 12

One of the panthers tries to lunge at me but is knocked back by an invisible wall.

"Y/n, listen." Chishiya says again.

"Chishiya." I say about to back up.

"Don't move back." He says quickly and I freeze.

"There are plates hidden that you have to step on to open other paths to get through. That one will lead them directly to you."

I shuffle forward a little. Wincing at the cats scratching their claws at me.

"Now move two steps toward them."

I slowly listen. Taking the steps, one panther starts feeling it's head on the wall to find a way through.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Y/n, turn away from them and walk towards the exit slowly. And when I tell you run, run."

I take deep shaky breaths and move forward.

Step after step, where there should have been a wall from earlier, there isn't. Leads me to believe what Chishiya said about the hidden plates.

I really wanted this to be easier.

"Y/n run." He says and I run as fast as I can. "Don't look back, it will only slow you down." I hear him instruct.

I don't need to look back to know I stepped on a plate that led them to me.

"Turn right now."

I turn right and hear the panthers crash into the wall.

"Turn left."

Instructions like these for the next minute.

"Stop."

I stop, seeing I am in the middle of the room now, almost done. I just gotta tell myself I am almost done.

I look to my right and see the panthers scratching at another wall.

"The plate you are on is blocking them. You can relax a little." He says pausing. "You will need to step off and run the direction of the door. When you do, move quickly, you need to try and trap them."

"Shit." I curse a tear rolling down my cheek. I don't want to be eaten alive, not a great way to die.

"Y/n, when I say go run straight forward and circle around exactly when I tell you to." His voice has stayed calm the entire time.

I am kind of jealous that he gets to lead me, but he is better at figuring out puzzles than I am.

I compose myself, "Alright, just tell me when." I get into a stance to be able to spring forward.

"Go."

I launch off the plate and run forward, I can hear the panthers following close behind.

I push myself to go faster.

"Circle to the right now."

I start circling back, I her thuds.

"Shit, don't stop!" I hear him say, and I press on forward.

"Turn right, turn left now, circle to the left." Instructions kept on being given,  I could hear the lone panther running after me, if it wasn't for the walls, it would've caught me by now.

"Y/n get through the door."

Finally I run to the door and start opening it.

The panther crashes into the side of the door as I try, knocking me away from it.

I look at the beast who is starting to get up, tears are rolling down my face.

"Listen, move back quickly."

I listen and the panther lunges at me again, right as I am about to accept my fate, the cat hits a wall and can't reach me.

More tears come as I look at the beast through the invisible wall.

"...Y/n, the only way to the door is stepping off the plate and making a run for it." Chishiya pauses sighing, if the panther was right in front of me, how could I get through?

I look down thinking and I can hear Chishiya muttering about new ideas.

I look at the panther and at the door. Maybe I could distract it.

I grab the backpack and look through it. The cat is watching me closely so I turn away and continue searching.

I am injured prey, so I am an easy target, but what if I can make it think that there is a weaker target or something.

Or if there is food I could use that, I find some soup.

Good enough, I think setting everything up. I set a roll of bandages in the soup and let it soak, wrapping it around the backpack. If I throw this maybe it will go after it, but I might go after me still.

I try stopping the crying but my nerves wouldn't let me. I guess it's time.

I step off and throw the bag at the panther, who in turn tries to each it. As it's distracted I run through the door and into an empty room.

"(Favorite color) team, congratulations for completing the game."

My collar falls and Chishiya walks through the door. I run to him and he wraps his arms around me.

I am still crying and he rubs my back quietly shushing me. And comforting me.

I think I lied about the Jack of Hearts, I would play that game any day over this one.

"Sorry." He mumbles over and over.

When I finally calm down we walk out of the building, leaving the blimp to blow up behind us.