Chapter 4- Conspiracy

If someone was to visit the fourth prince's mansion this morning, they would have found maid, servants and guards

chatting in two or three in low voice all over the mansion. No can blame them. A few unusual things happened last night in the mansion. One, Wangye, who is never drunk no matter how much he drank, came home dead drunk. Two, Wangfei, who is usually poised and elegant, shouted at and scolded Wangye. Three, the cold God of War Wangye made Xiao Si* look for candy dead in the night despite being scolded. Xiao Si had to knock almost every maid's room to look for those candies as in the mansion these things were not usually prepared, only some maids got them on their own. (Si, as in the number 'four', not death)

The two main characters of their gossip were now having their breakfast in the Rising Moon Pavilion. Unlike how they did in the past, Qiu Chen sat beside Zhao Yichen, or to be more precise, almost in his arms. Zhao Yichen kept picking food for Qiu Chen. He was happy to do so. But unbeknown to him, his behavior made the jaws of the people present drop. Their usually cold Wangye was all smile now, his eyes were so soft that it looked like they would pour softness anytime now.

Qiu Chen got irritated with all the stares his husband was getting from all the maids, "Xiao Li, Xiao Si, stay. Everyone else, withdraw." He put some food in Zhao Yichen's bowl too. This made the man smile even more. Qiu Chen felt sweet seeing his smile.

"Baby, you didn't ask why the empress wasn't there when we entered the palace that day. According to the custom she should have been there." Zhao Yichen asked Qiu Chen. He was really puzzled as for why his wife didn't ask anything, he didn't even felt wronged. This also made him think that his wife didn't care about him at all.

Qiu Chen lifted his eyes and looked at Zhao Yichen, his eyes full of mischievous smile, "We saw father emperor at the imperial garden, not the imperial hall."

"So?" Zhao Yichen was even more confused. He had an answer why the empress was not present. But his wife wasn't saying that.

Qiu Chen laughed out loud seeing his man's confused face. "It's simple, actually. Father didn't meet us formally, but informally. He didn't talk much, but wasn't angry either when I called him 'father' instead of 'your majesty'. The empress was not present for two reasons. First one being, she doesn't like you. So, she wanted to make you lose face by not being present. Second and most important reason is father emperor didn't want her to be there. He is the emperor. If he wanted her to be present, she had to. This also served two of his meanings. One is to create an illusion in the eyes of others that he doesn't like you. Another is to create a homely and easy going environment for us."

"Why do you think it's an illusion? May be he doesn't actually like me. I've been to the borders for last ten years, only returning to the capital a handful of times. I wield great power. As an emperor he should be afraid of me."

"Are you really so dumb, Great General Zhao?" Qiu Chen said as he hooked up a corner of his lips.

Zhao Yichen bowed down his head and kissed the mischievous smile. After kissing for a while he said, "Tell me your analysis."

Qiu Chen blushed from the short of air. He said as he tried to catch his breath, "Father emperor decreed us to marry. Do you think that's random? A neglected concubine borne of Duke Song's mansion to be decreed to marry the Great General Zhao is without any reason?"

This was again time for Zhao Yichen to be confused, "Wasn't it for people to think that I'm so feared by him that he made me marry someone insignificant? NO, BABY, you are not insignificant to me! It's what they think!" Zhao Yichen thought he said something wrong and might upset his baby, so hurriedly explained.