Chapter 3: Rehearsal

"Alright, guys, we are only days away!" Mr. Schue announced, everyone clapped.

"Kurt, how about we practice somewhere over the rainbow?"

"Okay." Kurt smiled.

"Since aunt Em isn't here, just start after Aunt Em's lines."

"Okay." He nodded.

"Alright, and action!"

"Do you suppose there's such a place, Toto? Someplace where there's no trouble...there must be...it's not a place you can get to by boat or a train...it's far, far away, behind the moon, beyond the rain?" Kurt read his lines and then began to sing.

Kurt:

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high

There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds are far behind me

Where troubles melt like lemon drops

Away above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly

Birds fly over the rainbow

Why, then, oh, why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly

Beyond the rainbow

Why, oh, why can't I?

Everyone clapped and gave Kurt multiple compliments.

"That was great!" Mr. Schue said; Kurt took a little bow.

"Okay? Finn, how about we practice your big solo? King Of The Forest!"

"Oh, okay..." Finn said he flipped the pages of his script. The band began to play the song he honestly didn't like.

Finn:

If I Were King Of The Forest! Not queen, not duke, not prince

My regal robes of the forest! Would be satin, not cotton, not chintz-" He looked in the corner and saw Santana laughing.

"Shut up, Santana!"

"Okay! Um, let's move on."

It was time for the dress rehearsal and then the big show tomorrow!

"Okay, I guess this isn't so bad," Rachel said, coming out of the bathroom and into the Auditorium in her first costume. She wore a plaid shirt, overalls, and boots, and her hair was in braids.

"You look sexy, Rachel," Finn said and kissed her cheek.

"I look better in my Tin Girl costume."

"I, on the other hand, look ridiculous in mine. It's hot as hell in that lion costume," Finn said

"You don't look ridiculous...you look like a gay Thundercat." Santana laughed.

"That's why we have an intermission, Finn, and you don't look ridiculous or like a gay Thundercat." Mr. Schue said.

"Mr. Schue, are you sure I can't put just a little gel on my hair," Blaine said in his farmer's costume.

"No, Blaine, I'm sorry. Your curls look good, okay, deal with it."

Kurt walked into the Auditorium wearing gingham blue and white checkered overalls, a white top under, and plain black shoes.

"I don't want to hear it from any of you! I look like a child!"

"I think you look adorable," Blaine said and kissed his cheek.

"Kurt!" Mrs. Pillsbury called, running in with a box.

"Your ruby slippers" She smiled and moved the top of the box to reveal sparkly red boots.

"Oh my—they're perfect!"

"Alright, guys! Oh, let's test out those special effects, shall we?" Mr. Schue called out to the av club guys.

"Alright. Cyclone!" One of the boys said and pushed a button on a projector, and a cyclone appeared.

"Nice!" Kurt exclaimed.

"Okay, smoke." Another button and a bunch of red smoke shot up.

"Okay!" Mr. Shue clapped

"Okay, Jacob, test that wind machine!"

"Yes, sir! By the way, Rachel, you look amazing in that costume."

"The wind Jacob!" Rachel said

"Wind coming up!" He pushed the big red button on the machine for the wind.

"Nicely done! Alright, turn it off."

Jacob pressed the button but noticed it wasn't turning off.

"What's going on?!" Mr. Schue asked

"I'm sure it's fine!" He screamed over the wind, pushing buttons to try and fix it.

"Turn it off!" Coach Beiste exclaimed as everything on set started to fly.

"I'm trying!"

"This is why I don't do musical theater because of stuff like this!" Sue yelled

"Everyone, take cover!" Mr. Shue exclaimed, and they all ran to different corners.

"Turn that machine off, or someone is gonna get hurt!" Kurt exclaimed. Suddenly the window from the set broke off and flew toward Kurt, striking him on the head and knocking him to the ground.

The last thing Kurt heard before giving into the darkness was Blaine calling his name.