Chapter 15: The Wizard

Kurt and the others returned to the emerald city and were ready to present the broom to the Wizard.

"Do I believe my eyes? Why have you come back."

Kurt stepped forward, holding the broom.

"We've done what you told us. We've brought you the broomstick of the Wicked Witch Of The West!, We melted her! By accident, but still."

"Very well done."

"Yes sir, so we'd like you to keep your promise to grant us our requests...please?"

"Not so fast! I need time to think about it. Go away and come back tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow?! But I want to go home now! Do you have any idea what we went through to get this broom?!" Kurt was furious.

"You've had plenty of time already!" The Tin Girl exclaimed.

"You dare to disobey the great and powerful Oz?! I said come back tomorrow!"

"You know if you were really a great wizard, you'd keep your promises!" Kurt exclaimed angrily.

"Do you presume to criticize the great Oz?" Kurt noticed Pavarotti fly toward a green curtain.

"Huh?" He thought to himself.

"Consider yourself lucky that I am giving you until tomorrow instead of years from now!" Kurt pulled the curtain and saw a man!

"Oh! The Great Oz has spoken!" The man said as he shut the curtain.

"Leave immediately and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" Kurt pulled the curtain once again.

"Who are you?"

"I am-I am the Wizard Of Oz." The man said, he looked exactly like Mr. Shue!

"You? I don't believe it!"

"Well, it's true.."

"You humbug!" The Scarecrow exclaimed

"That's exactly right; that's what I am. I'm a Humbug."

"You're a very bad man...." Kurt said

"No, I'm a good man, just a very bad wizard."

"What about the heart you promised the Tin Girl and the courage you promised Cowardly Lion!"

"And the brain for Scarecrow!" The Tin Girl and Lion said.

"Well, anyone can have a brain; it's an excellent thing to ask for. Back where I come from, we have universities, places of learning, where people go to become great thinkers, but they have one thing you haven't got, a diploma!" The Wizard said, reaching into a large bag and pulling out a rolled-up paper.

"And this will help me?"

"Well, you tell me. What is the square root of pi?"

"The value of pi is 3.1459, and the square root of pi is equal to 1.77," The Scarecrow recited as if he was reading from a book.

"Woah! I've got a brain!" The Scarecrow exclaimed, "How can I ever thank you?!" He shook the Wizard's hand. The Wizard turned to the Lion.

"As for you, you are looking for courage. You live with a mind full of fear and confuse courage with wisdom. Back where I came from, we have men who are called heroes. Once a year, they take their wisdom and parade down the city, and they have no more courage than you have, but they have one thing you haven't got, a medal. Therefore for showing bravery in the face of danger, I award you the triple cross; you are now a member of The Legion Of Courage."

"Gosh, I'm speechless." The Lion said. The Wizard turned to the Tin Girl.

"As for you, young lady, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."

"But I-I still want one," Tin Girl said.

"Back where I come from, there are people who do nothing all day but good deeds; they are called... uh, good deed doers, and their hearts are no bigger than yours! But they have one thing you don't have, a testimonial." The Wizard reached into the bag and pulled out a heart-shaped clock,

"Therefore, in consideration of your kindness, I present you with a small token of our esteem and affection, and remember, that a heart is not judged by how much you love but by how much you are loved by others!"

The Tin Girl smiled, and the clock began to tick.

"Oh, it ticks! Look, it ticks!"

"Look at what my medal says, 'Courage'!"

"Hey, what about Kurt?" The Scarecrow asked.

"Yeah, what about Kurt?" The Tin Girl said.

"I don't think there's anything in that bag for me, not unless you've got an airport ticket or something," Kurt said.

"Well, you have left me with no choice, it seems. The only way to get Kurt back to Lima is to take him myself!"

"Would you? But are you clever enough to do that?"

"Of course, I'm from Lima myself."

Kurt was overjoyed at the thought of returning home to his family, friends, and Blaine!