Chapter 6: The Scarecrow

Before long, he found himself at a split road.

"What?! Now, which way do I go?"

"I've heard that's a nice way!" He heard someone say, he turned around to where the voice was coming from, but all he saw was a scarecrow.

"Who said that? Hello?" He called. Pavarotti began whistling at the Scarecrow.

"Don't be ridiculous, Pavarotti. You know Scarecrows can't talk."

"It's fun that way too." He heard the same voice, but the Scarecrow pointed left instead of right.

"Wait a minute, wasn't he pointing the other way?"

"Of course, people do go both ways, I hear." The Scarecrow said and crossed his arms, pointing in both directions.

"Wait..." Kurt said, walking to the Scarecrow; he looked so familiar.

"Blaine, is that you?" The Scarecrow shook his head no and then yes.

"Are you just doing that to annoy me?"

"No, at least I don't think I am. But I can't think at all."

"Why not?" Kurt furrowed his eyebrow.

"I don't have a brain. Only straw." The Scarecrow said.

"How can you talk if you don't have a brain?"

"I don't know, but you know people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

"That's for sure. Well, we haven't officially met. I'm Kurt Hummel"

"Hello, Kurt Hummel, I have no name, but you can call me Scarecrow."

"Okay, Scarecrow. How do you do?" Kurt asked the Scarecrow

"Well, Kurt, I'm not doing well at all, really. You see, it's not the greatest, being stuck up here all day with a pole up your back."

"Oh, that must be extremely uncomfortable. Let me see if I can help you get down."

"Oh, that's very kind of you."

"Uh, I don't know how to; hang on, let me try this," Kurt said as he bent down the nail in the back of the wood, and the Scarecrow came falling, and some of his straw flew out of him.

"Whoop, there goes some of me, I guess." He laughed

"Are you okay? Does it hurt?"

"Oh no, I just keep picking it up and putting it back in again!" The Scarecrow laughed as he stuffed the straw back into his chest.

"Oh, it's so good to be free-Woah!" He found himself tripping over his own feet, and Kurt ran to him.

"Did I scare you?"

"No, I just thought you hurt yourself."

"But I didn't scare you?" He asked hopefully.

"No, of course not."

"I didn't think so." He sighed, all his previous hope fading away.

"I'm not surprised. I can't even scare a crow; they come from miles away to pick at my straw and laugh at my face. I'm a failure because I haven't got any brains."

"Well, what would you do if you had one?"

"What would I do? Well, if I had a brain, I could...." The Scarecrow said, then began to sing.

Scarecrow:

I could while away the hours,

conferring' with the flowers

Consulting' with the rain.

And my head I'd be scratching' while my thoughts were busy hatching' If I only had a brain.

I'd unravel every riddle for any individual, In trouble or in pain.

Kurt:

With the thoughts you'd be thinking. You could be another Lincoln

If you only had a brain.

Scarecrow:

Oh, I could tell you why the ocean's near the shore. I could think of things I never thunk before.

And then I'd sit, and think some more.

I would not be just a nuffin' my head all full of stuffin'

My heart all full of pain.

I would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry, If I only had a brain.

"Woah!" the Scarecrow exclaimed as he fell during his dance, Kurt ran to him.

"That was amazing! You know, I'm going to The Emerald city to see if the Wizard will send me home. Why don't you come with me? Maybe he will give you a brain."

"Really? You think he would?!"

"I don't see why he wouldn't...."

"Hooray! We're off to see a wizard!" This Scarecrow reminded him so much of Blaine from his childlike excitement; his voice and even his smile screamed Blaine Anderson.

"Well, to Oz?" Kurt asked

"To Oz!" The Scarecrow said as he linked arms with Kurt trying to keep his balance

Kurt and Scarecrow:

We're off to see the Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz!

We hear he is a whiz of a Wiz, if ever a Wiz there was.

If ever, oh ever a Wiz there was, The Wizard of Oz is one because, because, because, because, because...

Because of the wonderful things he does!

We're off to see the Wizard

The wonderful Wizard of Oz!