The Days Before the Wedding

Oberyn's journey to Dorne took a bit longer than when he went to King's Landing. He didn't really want to go home, so he spent a few nights in an inn, where he treated himself to the company of young ladies and men. They helped him forget at least a little about all the events that happened during his last day in King's Landing. And when he finally returned home, Ellaria welcomed him with a smile on her face.

"We will talk later. Wait for me in the gardens," he retorted instead of greeting her. Oberyn didn't even look at her, he just walked past her and went to see his brother. He wanted to deal with Doran first, then he would look for his malicious lover.

"Is something wrong, my love?" said Ellaria who followed him instead of going where he told her to go. Oberyn sighed and stopped for a small moment, closing his eyes.

"I told you to wait for me in the gardens. I won't discuss it here!" he answered irritated. She was always dependent on him; he never blamed her for it. He had no reason to. He loved her presence, but now... As if something broke inside him and he was fed up with her. And apparently, it was because of her misstep.

"As you wish," she finally nodded and went where Oberyn sent her. She didn't want to contradict him.

Oberyn looked at her receding back, ran a hand over his face, and walked away to see his brother. A conversation with him couldn't take up much of his time, and so eventually Ellaria wouldn't wait for him for a long time. The only thing he wanted to tell his brother was that the wedding would take place after all. He didn't want to share anything more with him.

He found him sitting in the saloon, his wife sitting next to him, and they were talking together. Oberyn frowned, put his hands behind his back, and cleared his throat, making his presence known.

"Brother." Suddenly Oberyn spoke instead of greeting.

"Ah, Oberyn. It took you such a long time, I expected you to come back as soon as you left!" Doran Martell turned to his brother, his hand resting on his wife's thigh, giving her a firm squeeze. Oberyn shook his head.

"I stayed for a few days. I wanted to be with her, you cannot blame me. What happened here while I was gone? Anything that I should know about?"

Doran shook his head with a laugh. "Everything is fine here, you don't have to worry. So, what about the wedding?"

"It will take place next month, don't worry. Cersei was overjoyed to see me again," Oberyn grinned. However, the smile disappeared from his face in a second when he realized what else happened during his visit. "I still have some things I need to take care of, do you need anything else with me or can I go and leave you two alone?"

Doran and his wife exchanged curious glances, but neither of them said anything. Oberyn's brother just waved and allowed his younger brother to leave. On the way out, Oberyn breathed a sigh of relief that his brother hadn't asked him anything else. He didn't need his help dealing with that Ellaria situation. He had to deal with her alone and he didn't want to drag other people into it.

He came to the gardens as they had previously agreed. The whole time he was preparing in his head what he was going to say to Ellaria. He had never been as nervous about a conversation with her as he was right now. It was a simple conversation with his lover, nothing terrible. On the other hand, the main topic of conversation between Ellaria and him was his future wife.

He felt like he was at a crossroads. On one side was Ellaria, the woman with whom he had lived for so many years, with whom he had several daughters, and who meant everything to him. On the other side, on the contrary, was Joanna. A woman he had known for only a few months, who was soon to become his wife, and a woman with whom he was expecting their first child together.