The Sun Will Shine on Us Again

"I have another son who could marry your daughter, Mace. And coincidentally, that son is the current king of Westeros," Cersei suggested during one of the many meetings of the Small Council. Not even seven days had passed since her eldest son had died and she was already planning another politically motivated marriage. All she had left was Myrcella, but her youngest daughter was due to leave for Dorne soon. She had been promised to Prince Trystan for many years. But it never took on any of the formalities that accompanied Joanna and Joffrey.

Mace Tyrell looked around the members of the Small Council in confusion. He went from Cersei to Tywin and from Tywin to Oberyn. He swallowed emptily and shrugged. He placed his hands on the table and leaned forward.

"It's a king as a king, and a Baratheon as a Baratheon," Mace agreed after a moment of silence. He needed to go through it all in his head. All pros and cons. And Cersei, along with her father, waited for Tyrell's answer.

Oberyn ran his tongue over the top row of teeth and grinned. He put one foot on top of the other and drummed his fingers on the table. Cersei turned to the representative of the Martell family and raised an eyebrow.

"Do you have a problem with that, Oberyn?" she asked him without hesitation almost immediately.

He turned to the Queen Regent; the smile still plastered on his face. "I find it comical that the poor boy is still mourning his brother, and do not tell me he's not, we've all noticed that Tommen is a bit more sensitive, and you are already planning to hang Joffrey's widow around his neck. Even more so when your youngest son, Cersei, is still a child. Bigger than Joffrey was."

Cersei turned to her father for help. She was not in the mood for these taunting and wise words, which were a delight to Oberyn whenever he thought of them. She was still grieving for her beloved Joffrey and Oberyn wasn't helping at all.

"Joanna was also a child when we gave her to you. And you were a grown man," Tywin Lannister added to the conversation, taking the answer into his own hands instead of Cersei.

"Correction, Lord Tywin. Joanna was a grown woman long ago when you served her to me on a golden platter. Tommen is still a child. I cannot imagine that I would go and give my son to some god knows how many years older woman."

"Excuse me, Oberyn, but remind me. Is Tommen your son or mine?" Cersei also joined in this time.

Oberyn gritted his teeth and exchanged a look with Varys, who was sitting across from him. Varys smiled contentedly, knowing exactly that this was something that would make many of his birds happy. All the information he collected during his time in the Small Council pleased many of the people who were interested in the situation behind the walls of the Red Keep.

"I'm sorry," he had no choice but to answer Cersei Lannister.

She didn't say anything else to his apology. She just rolled her eyes and turned to the rest. "We should have this done. Tyrion, brother, now tell us where your wife disappeared to shortly after my son's death?"

Oberyn looked from Cersei to Tyrion and back again. The issue of the disappearance of Sansa Stark, now a Lannister, has been a rather huge thing that has been constantly addressed in recent days. They whispered about it in the corridors. They whispered about it in town. And above all, Varys's little birds sang about it. Oberyn did not doubt that as soon as they left the meeting, Varys would disappear in an instant to sing everything to his scout. He was also surprised that he was not thrown away.

The tension between Tyrion and Cersei grew more and more each day. After all, he was one of the suspects in the murder of the king. And according to what he heard; a trial was also going to be held with him. Until then, he simply sat in the Small Council. He didn't understand why they kept him there, but at the same time, he didn't argue with anyone about it and let them do whatever they wanted with him.