The Dark Days

"I still don't understand that Joffrey is getting married," Joanna lamented as she placed the jewels she wanted to take with her to King's Landing in a box.

Only yesterday they received the invitation to his wedding to Lady Margaery Tyrell. She had already heard of that family but knew almost nothing about them. While Oberyn knew too much about them. At least from what he told her. Allegedly, they were too political a breed. According to Oberyn, they were slowly becoming more politically minded than Joanna's mother was. And that was enough to say. And for Joffrey, Cersei couldn't have chosen better. Although Joanna had never met the girl, she couldn't really make any judgments yet. But she believed that she was a better wife for him than Sansa Stark would ever be. The events and betrayal committed by her father did not pass them by. They heard about it. What Joanna didn't understand was why her mother kept her there.

"What's so hard to understand about that? He has grown up, it is time to find his own queen," Oberyn shrugged. He was lying on his side on the bed, one elbow tucked into the mattress, watching Joanna as she flew up and down the room.

"Everything about it is hard to understand!" she stopped and glared at her husband. "After all, not long ago he was my little brother and now he is getting married." She waved her hand around indignantly.

It wasn't that long ago that Joffrey accused her of sleeping with Oberyn before the wedding and wanted to tell their mother about it. A long time ago... it happened three years ago. She didn't understand how it had gone by so quickly. She suddenly stopped. With all that thinking over the years, she realized that she hadn't missed her bleeding, which was usually fairly accurate.

She clutched a smaller wooden box in her palm and frowned. Her back was turned to Oberyn, which meant that he could not see her face.

"When is Joffrey's wedding?" she asked with hope in her voice as she wasn't sure at all.

"On the first day of the year three hundred. Why do you ask?"

It was in twenty days.

She blinked and shook her head. She walked on and put the jewelry box in the trunk. Finally, she turned to Oberyn and smiled.

"For no reason," she replied as if nothing had happened.

No, nothing happened either. She was just five days late with her bleeding and she didn't even realize it. It didn't occur to her. Recently, she had been busy with other things, so she didn't think about the fact that she might...

That maybe she could be pregnant.

She walked over to the bed and lay down next to Oberyn, who almost immediately laid down next to her and ran the tip of his nose over hers. Joanna giggled like a little child and wrapped her arms around his neck. She still had a feeling with him, especially in similar moments, when she felt butterflies flying in her stomach, or when her heart was pounding. That love for him still hasn't faded away. And she hoped that would never be the case.

"Do we really want to go to King's Landing? Shouldn't we rather stay at home?" Oberyn grumbled in displeasure.

Joanna stroked his head, brushing his hair back and smoothing it back. "He is my brother, my dear. Of course, we must go there. And I won't go alone. Without you. So that they don't accidentally think that something happened between us." She whispered her answer to him. She still found it funny how Oberyn always had a hard time going to see her family because not only did he hate the city, but he also didn't have much love for her uncle either. Her father. Not uncle.

"I do not want to go there. I just know I will be under your father's fire again," he wrinkled his nose in disgust and sighed.

Joanna pushed Oberyn away from her. And he let himself. He moved away from her himself when he felt her hands start to press into his chest. They both sat down almost in sync. This was the first time anyone had referred to Jaime as her father. She still couldn't accept him as her father. It was strange and unusual.