The Disaster

Trigger Warning: This chapter contains mentions of rape and suicide

Oberyn was sitting in Doran's chambers. His leg was crossed over the other one, his hand was resting on the couch. His eyes were narrowed, and he was looking somewhere in front of him. After his encounter with Tyene, he didn't immediately go to his brother. He needed to let it sit in his head, to think about what he would say to Doran. Because this was not something that could be solved relatively easily. A lot was at stake here. It was a dirty game of his former lover, who managed to wrap his brother around her finger as well. His brother, who started cheating on his wife because of Ellaria's sick and twisted game.

Oberyn didn't understand it at all. He didn't understand that Doran would be capable of something like that, and therefore he came to visit him. He needed answers. He needed to know his own opinion on the whole Ellaria situation. He needed reasons why he allowed himself to be seduced by her. And if he couldn't answer any of that... no, if he didn't want to answer any of it, then Doran would disappoint him.

He was waiting for him. He had absolutely no problem getting in. It was a complete no-brainer for him considering the guards knew him. All he had to do was to say one sentence to them and they would let him even into his treasury. But that's not the reason why he came. Maybe that would come another time when what Joanna brought with her to the marriage was no longer enough for him.

Nothing had changed in his brother's chambers since he had been away from the palace. Everything looked the same as before. Not that he went there regularly and knew where everything was, but... yes. He had studied Doran's chambers and, even with his eyes closed, he knew exactly what he had stored and hidden where. It was quite likely that even his brother didn't know about some things. But if Oberyn stood up now and went to look, he would with no doubt find it easily.

Oberyn didn't have to wait any longer before his brother arrived in his chambers. He smiled widely when he spotted Doran. Though he did not get up from the couch, he continued to sit calmly. However, peace of mind was out of the question in Doran's case. At first glance, it was clear to Oberyn that he was angry. In some way, Oberyn invaded his privacy. That was it...

"What are you doing here?" Doran snapped irritably.

Oberyn shrugged and folded his hands in his lap. "There are some things that are bothering me and that I would like to discuss with you." He still had a smile on his face. Oberyn wanted to appear as calm as possible. He couldn't let it be known that he was actually angry and irritated.

Doran slowly closed the door behind him and put his hands behind his back. He stood still and didn't move anywhere. He obviously used the same tactics as Oberyn, who still hadn't moved from that couch.

"I am listening," he called after a moment when both of them were silent and just looked at each other. Not one of them was capable of that primordial word. In Oberyn's case, it was just wasting time and making Doran nervous.

Doran's younger brother nodded and laughed. "Of course. Sorry for keeping you waiting."

He stood up and walked over to the shelf just a short distance from where he was sitting. He took in his hand a small statue made of gold, which was in the shape of an elephant, and examined it. It must have been a new addition because he had never noticed the elephant before.

"I have heard some rumors that you slept with Ellaria during the days before she died. What did your dear wife say to that? Did she agree to that? Did she mind?" he raised an eyebrow. He hadn't looked at Doran yet. He let Doran boil inside him. Oberyn planned to look at him only the moment his voice started to sound at least a little irritated. Every single time he saw Doran angry, he was having fun.