The Arrival

"You have never been to King's Landing?"

Quentyn looked at his mistress and shook his head. Joanna raised an eyebrow as she was surprised by his words. Well, it shouldn't have surprised her, not everyone could travel from one place to another whenever they wanted. Quentyn was no doubt fed up with his job at Sunspear, and they wouldn't let him travel around Westeros just like that.

"Never in my life. This is my first time." He admitted.

Joanna turned to him. Her hand was placed on her belly, which was already getting bigger with another month to go.

They didn't go to King's Landing right after they got the news of Jon Arryn's death. Another raven that arrived carried the news that the king and his family had gone to Winterfell to visit the Starks. Nothing else was written there, and Joanna had no choice but to guess why her father went there at that particular moment. Instead, they waited one full month because they assumed they would be out of the King's Landing for that long.

"In that case, I hope you will like it there. It's completely different from Dorne, although I have to admit that Dorne has its own charms." Joanna was talking and talking. It was like she didn't know when she should stop. She felt like all her worries left her and everything was fine and easy when she was with him.

Quentyn looked at Joanna and smiled. "I do not doubt that, but I have to say that I miss home a little now."

"You're worse than a little child. We won't stay here forever, just a few days, and then we'll go back." She assured him.

"I know, but even so, I would rather go home right now. I've heard a lot about these countries, and they weren't exactly the most beautiful, ear-pleasing words." He answered her with absolute seriousness in his voice.

Joanna blinked at him in surprise. "Yes? I'm interested in who said what. I grew up here, I dare to say that I also know some other realms and I don't think they are dangerous. I mean... some of them are dangerous just from all the talking of milkmaids, but those are the ones in the north."

"But we aren't going to the north, right?"

"No, don't worry." She replied with a wide smile beginning to stretch across her face. She still had her hand on her stomach and was caressing it with slow circular movements.

She watched her guardian closely. She was fascinated that someone like him was afraid of the far north she was telling him about. Everyone had their weaknesses, and apparently, Quentyn was no exception. She shifted her gaze from his tanned face to the looming city in front of them. She breathed a sigh of relief. It had been a few months, but she felt like she'd been gone more than that. It was like she had been gone for years.

"Is that King's Landing in the distance?" he asked. He thus disrupted the moment of nostalgia she had.

Joanna nodded. Before she could say anything, she felt someone's hands on her shoulders. Whose hands would they be if not Oberyn's. She turned her head to the side and looked into his face.

"Are you happy to be back?" she asked somewhat provocatively. She knew Oberyn's relationship with her mother. On the other hand, this was the city where they met... there were many memories.

"I am definitely not looking forward to seeing your family again, but I have no other choice." He answered her a bit irritated.

Joanna frowned. Suddenly all that good mood left her. She shifted her gaze to the city in the distance and took a deep breath.

"I happen to be looking forward to seeing my family again. I missed them."

"Quentyn, how about you leave us alone? We do not need your services right now." Oberyn blurted out an order to the guard he had hired himself. And now he was sending him away. Like every time she was alone with Quentyn Oberyn showed up out of nowhere.