The Last Warning

Trigger Warning: This chapter contains mention of suicide

Joanna got into the water. Dressed up. She didn't try to take her clothes off. If someone found her, she would prefer to be dressed.

She couldn't carry the burden any longer. She was disgusted with herself. She was disgusted with her whole life. She was afraid to trust anyone anymore. She was afraid to let anyone near her because she was afraid of disappointment and the broken heart she would undoubtedly have. And which she still had now. Quentyn was her friend. She trusted him. She trusted him with everything, and he betrayed her. He just played it all on her and then dirty her so disgustingly.

She took a deep breath and swallowed emptily. She sat down in the bathtub and ran her hand under the surface. She watched her own hand. At that moment, she began to think about whether she really wanted to do it. Oberyn needed her. Their son also needed her. But she didn't need to live anymore. She didn't want to feel so dirty and weak anymore. She couldn't defend herself. She was so vulnerable. She couldn't do anything. Absolutely anything.

And just then she closed her eyes and dived under the water.

And she didn't come out anymore.

Oberyn spent the last few days sleeping in another chamber. He didn't want to expose himself unnecessarily to Joanna because he knew she would start yelling at him again and pushing him away. He did not dare to face it and listen to it. He believed that she needed time alone to get through it on her own. And that's why he had to entertain himself somehow. Not to entertain... he needed to bring himself to other thoughts. And when he cooled down, he went to visit Quentyn.

He had him stripped of all the weapons he had with him. He had him stripped of all the armor he was wearing that day. Oberyn took two daggers with him. He believed that he would use them for whatever he intended with him. Unless he jumped as he whistled.

He had the door of the cell where he was being held open. Nor was it a coincidence that it was the same cell that Ellaria was in before. He noticed a stain on the ground that was still there from the day he killed Ellaria. Nobody washed it.

He looked away from that spot and moved it to Quentyn. To the man he trusted so much, and he betrayed him. He might have been suspicious from the start that he was so terribly close to Joanna all of a sudden. It didn't occur to him at all. How could he be stupid enough not to think of that?

Quentyn raised his bloodied face. That was taken care of by Oberyn's men, whom he ordered not to spare him. He didn't want to just let him sit there and wait. He wanted to prepare him for his arrival.

He looked at the door that closed behind him and then turned his head back towards the traitor. He smiled. He was at peace at the moment. Of course, he had it when he was about to take out all the anger that had been building up so nicely in him during those days. It was collected pretty gradually, like when a gardener rake-infested autumn leaves.

"Are you enjoying yourself here?" Oberyn raised an eyebrow and paced the cell. However, he deliberately avoided the one blood stain on the ground with his gaze.

Quentyn slowly looked up at the younger Prince Martell. He didn't answer him. Oberyn took that as approval. He walked over to the chair that Quentyn was sitting on to which he was also handcuffed.

Oberyn pressed his lips into a straight line and held out two daggers in front of him. "I will let you choose one. Warning, one of them is soaked in poison. It will slowly burn you from the inside, but it will not kill you right away. It makes you feel that approaching and slow death. It can take days, sometimes hours. It's very individual and depends on where I hit you." Oberyn smiled again. One would have thought that it was a purely friendly smile. But in a situation like this, that smile took a huge detour around some friendly feelings.