The Customs and Troubles

It felt good to be home again, but it felt even better to be back in her real home. In Sunspear. They spent incredibly long days in King's Landing. And even though only the two of them left Dorne, three returned. They didn't even stop at the Old Palace to visit Doran, Oberyn's brother. Joanna wanted to rest after the long journey. She still had all kinds of thoughts and moods, but none of them were related to death anymore. Fortunately. And so, Oberyn didn't needlessly force Joanna to go to his brother and take Loreza, who was staying at the Old Palace while they were gone.

There was no more talk about their trip to Braavos. They expected to go there. That was all. They didn't decide when they would go. However, they needed a break from traveling for at least a few days. They were exhausted after that trip back to Dorne and they needed to at least enjoy the home for a while and not leave right away.

What's more, Joanna has finally found her way to Robert. It was only now that she realized again and properly how beautiful he was. And that he looked more like Oberyn than her. His head was decorated with thick and dark hair, and his eyes were also dark, just like his father's. He was a Martell through and through and she didn't mind it at all. She loved that little copy of Oberyn. And she was angry with herself for neglecting him.

"Glad to see you happy again, m'lady," Quentyn spoke. They walked through the gardens on the palace grounds. She had Robert in her arms and Quentyn followed her. Exactly as it was in the scope of his work. She didn't talk to him unnecessarily. She didn't want Oberyn to get it wrong again. And that even though she explained to him how things were between them.

Joanna slowly turned to him and smiled. She lowered her head and turned back again. Oberyn's eyes were everywhere. If she answered him, there would undoubtedly be one of his many jealous scenes that she still wasn't in the mood for.

"Did I do something to you?" Quentyn tried again.

She took a deep breath and hugged Robert closer to her. It broke her heart when Quentyn tried so hard and she played deaf and dumb. But her husband was away, and she doubted he would find out about their brief conversation.

"You didn't do anything to me. Why do you think so?" She couldn't let him know that she knew exactly what it was. And she couldn't even tell him that her husband didn't like their close relationship.

"You keep your distance from me, which did not happen before," he shrugged. Joanna sounded like he was really bothered by it.

She turned her whole body towards him and patted her son on the head. She smiled fondly at Quentyn and shook her head. "I still need my time. There's nothing personal about it, really."

Her bodyguard glanced over her. She felt like he was just checking to see if she was telling him the truth. She swallowed emptily and turned around when at the same time she increased her pace. Just to get her as far away from Quentyn as possible. She was returning to the palace.

"Father!" a dark-haired Dornish girl who could only be five years old at the most, screamed. She ran to meet Oberyn, who turned to her and smiled widely.

He came to get her to his brother, who willingly hired an old nurse to take care of Loreza while they were at King's Landing visiting his dear wife's family. He bent down and when Loreza ran to him, he picked her up in his arms and squeezed her tightly. He really couldn't even imagine letting her grow up with her sisters. What would grow out of her? The same hateful woman they were?

"Hi," he whispered, after which he kissed her on the top of her head. He dropped her from his arms to the ground shortly after and looked at Doran who was slowly walking towards them.

"It took you a while to come back home," Oberyn's older brother said. He took a deep breath and waved his hand over it.

"Complications you have probably heard of," Oberyn said nothing more to that. There was no need to say more about it. Those words were enough. He tried to put the days when Joanna was not at her best out of his mind. The days when it wasn't her but just some kind of ghost that took over her body. And that's exactly why he wasn't even going to tell his brother about it. He didn't need to know such huge details.