The Intervention

To Joanna's surprise, Oberyn didn't come to spend the night in their shared chambers. She had no idea where he slept. He must've slept in one of the chambers in the palace, there was no doubt about it. But maybe he wasn't even in the palace during the night, she thought. Besides, the thought crossed her mind, that maybe he was with her... no, that was out of the question.

Joanna shook her head at her own thought as she disagreed with her own mind. Ceria was playing with her hair at that moment. The feeling of a comb on her scalp woke her up, interrupted the thread of thoughts that occupied her head, and brought her back to Westeros, back to reality.

"Is something wrong, milady?" Ceria asked quietly. She gave Joanna a worried look, to which Joanna shook her head again and raised the corners of her mouth, forming a smile on her face.

"No, everything is fine. I was just thinking, nothing more."

"But if something was wrong, tell me. I'm here for you. You can easily confide in me, even so, I wouldn't tell anyone." Joanna noticed Ceria's tone change, she became sad, and she didn't even have to turn to look at her to see the emotion etched on her face.

"Do you want to talk about it? Sometimes I feel like I don't have anyone to talk to." She admitted to her.

Ceria ran the comb through Joanna's hair once more. She put it down and then braided her hair at the back, creating a braid that she wrapped around the rest of her hair so that her braid of blonde hair fell down on her chest. Finally, she put a few more golden hairpins in her hair on both sides - three on each side - and patted her mistress on the shoulders.

"Oh, no. I don't want to burden you with my problems. Okay, you're done. I was wondering if you would like to go outside. To walk; I would like to show you some places here, if you didn't get out of here yesterday and didn't have the chance to see it here-"

Ceria didn't finish her thought when Joanna interrupted her by raising her hand. A gesture her mother had taught her many years ago.

"Yes, I know. I didn't leave the chambers; we don't need to blur it any further. But I'd like to go for a walk. At least I'll be thinking about something else," Joanna got up from her chair, smoothed her light green dress, and looked out the window.

Even though she and Oberyn had an exchange of opinions yesterday, she missed his presence. Even if they wouldn't talk to each other, she just wanted to have him with her. She wanted to make sure he was with her and not with someone else... some other woman. Did she want too much? Not really.

"My husband..."

"Yes, milady?" Ceria immediately interrupted her.

Jonna turned her head to the side and looked over her shoulder at Ceria out of the corner of her eye. "Where is he?"

"He was here. In the evening, when you were already asleep. He wanted to let you sleep, so he spent the night in the chambers on the other side of the corridor."

"Mhm," Joanna nodded in understanding and looked back at the city in the distance. "But I'm wondering where he is right now."

Yes, it was nice that he came to see her in the evening, but that was not enough to answer her question, which Ceria avoided with a ready bow.

"I saw him leaving for the city, I don't know exactly where he went. I apologize."

Joanna bit the inside of her cheek and ran her palm over her face. Her hands were shaking and apparently, it was nothing. She, actually, didn't have a reason to feel that miserable. Although there were a thousand and one possibilities in her head where Oberyn could be, she still thought about that one particular possibility.