16: Wiping the Slate Clean

DIXIE

"Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important. Capture the good times. And if things don't work out, take another shot."

The famous quote by American Author Ziad Abdelnour is perhaps one of my favorites. The meaning behind the inspirational words speaks mountains for where this breathtaking view has taken my thoughts.

Thinking that I was better off trying to move on is proving to be an impossible act to perform. I can't forget him because I know that we will always and forever find our way back to each other.

When we're together, the thought sparks that maybe this could work between us.

All it takes is one look from the man who makes my heart race like he's competing for a worldwide title in heart palpitations and my body betrays me. Much like it's doing now as Tucker walks toward me, throwing me that sexy grin of his.

Perhaps he came back into my life this time because this is our shot. This is the photograph of our story that we'll look back on thirty years from now and think, "That was it! That was our real shot at a new beginning."

"Tucker, I..."

"Dixie..."

Tucker and I chuckle from trying to speak at the same time.

"Go ahead." I urge as he stuffs his hands in his jean pockets. His bright blue eyes, draw me in like I'm the one who's caught in a tide. A giant tide of realization that I can no longer keep myself away from him.

"This is going to sound crazy, but I think I'm on the verge of writing my next hit. Could you drive me back to my hotel? I need to get the words out before I lose them." Tucker says as his eyes light up, forcing my shoulders to droop.

I most definitely wasn't expecting that, but who am I kidding? Of course he has to go back. He's Tucker James, after all.

"That's so great, Tucker! Of course, I can give you a ride." I offer him a smile, pushing aside the thoughts I was so sure a few seconds ago that I wanted to share.

As usual, my habit of putting everyone else's needs before mine takes the front seat. It's just too hard to be selfish and think of myself when you're unsure if they're on the same page. Although Tucker has more than expressed how he still feels about me, in doing so I also crushed him.

"You alright, Dixie?" Tucker reaches out and touches my arm as I try to shake the thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's head back to the car."

Walking back to my vehicle, I hop in as Tucker gives me directions to Bridgeport.

"So what are you going to tell everyone when you get back?" I ask, feeling like he still isn't any closer to finding out the truth about the events of last night.

"I'm going to see how everyone reacts to seeing me first and go from there. If Hattie and Austin set me up, they'll act suspicious."

"That's your plan? Tucker, maybe this isn't such a good idea. Not only do you not remember anything, but if they're capable of setting this up, who knows what else they might try to do to you."

"Wait, is Dixie Mae showing that she still cares for me?" Tucker smirks and throws me that cute side-eyed look.

"I never stopped caring, Tucker. Especially with your life being in danger. I don't think you're safe around these people. When did you say your tour was over?"

"We have a show in New York, Ohio and then the last one is in Tennessee. You know my mom plans on staying in Nashville after this tour?"

"Really? Why? I didn't think she would ever leave your side."