13: Returning Memories

TUCKER

"Don't tell me what I'm not doing right, Felicity. Don't you think I know how broke we are!"

"Would you stop raising your voice, Walker! Tucker is asleep upstairs and he doesn't need to see you like this. You can hardly stand!"

"Don't start with that shit. I was trying to help us."

"Helping us by gambling and drinking all our money away? We have bills that need to be paid, Walker! We're on the verge of losing our farm! I sold every animal we could spare and soon we won't have enough of them left to feed ourselves."

"I'm so fucking sick of this shit!"

My father shouts and starts throwing dishes around the kitchen, punching the wall like he often does.

"Dad! Stop! Don't talk to her like that...!"

My body jerks as the sound of the door opening startles me awake.

Opening my eyes, I see Dixie walk in with a tray of coffees and a white bag.

"I grabbed some blueberry scones that looked tasty. I wasn't sure how hungry you were because you were asleep when I left."

Rubbing my temple, I shake the awful dream and muster up a smile for the gorgeous girl in front of me.

I swear every time I see her she's more beautiful than the last. I've never looked at someone and felt a strong desire like I do when I see her. She's every man's dream girl. It's impossible not to be drawn to someone who carries themselves so gracefully.

"Sleep isn't something I get much of when I'm on the road, so I tend to fall asleep quickly when alone. These smell great!" Dixie hands me the coffee and bag.

Taking a sip of the caffeinated beverage, I feel a harmony wash over me, considering the crazy reality I'm living in.

Noticing a particular look on Dixie's face as she sits at her desk, I ask, "Something on your mind, Darlin'?"

The corners of her mouth upturn from my nickname for her. She always loved it when I called her that. She said it sounded so good leaving my voice.

"There's something I've been meaning to ask you, but I wasn't sure how."

Sitting up further, I give her my undivided attention. "Okay, what is it?"

"I overheard some ladies in the bathroom earlier who must've been at your concert last night. They were talking about the chemistry between you and Hattie. Are the two of you more than friends? Not that it matters. I was just curious."

Rolling my eyes from hearing that, I give Dixie my honest answer as far as Hattie is concerned.

"I wouldn't even call us friends, Dixie. I made the mistake of letting her think it could be more once, but I've told her repeatedly since that I have no interest in her and she doesn't seem to get the hint."

"I kinda got that vibe from her after she kissed you at the Rose Ball and seeing you storm off stage. It seemed like she was trying too hard. How did you wind up stuck with her on your tour anyway?"

"Hattie's father is the owner of Sony Music Productions, where I recorded my two albums. Hattie wasn't on the totem pole as far as the country music world goes, so as part of my contract, I agreed to let her tour with me and expose her more for my second album."

"That was really kind of you, Tucker."

"Little did I know how big of a pain in the ass she would be. Half of our shows she lip syncs for because she claims she's saving her voice, but honestly, she's just a terrible performer."