40: The Trail of Truths

DIXIE

Charging through the woods, trying to ditch the swarm of paparazzi that just crashed the most amazing morning of my life, I can't help but laugh. It's rare that I ever act so risque but experiencing the worst pain I've ever felt over the last week, I think a little crazy is just what the doctor ordered.

"Let's hide here for a few minutes and see if they run past." Tucker points toward a heap of large bushes and ushers us behind them.

"I'm surprised they came after you like that. I figured since you left the spotlight they would find someone else to hound." I let out as I take my clothing from Tucker and get dressed.

Tucker peeks over the bush and sits down on the ground, prompting me to do the same.

"Well, that's not entirely true."

"What do you mean?" I ask, looking at him bewildered.

"I was going to tell you sooner but every time I tried, I didn't have the heart to. You've just been going through a lot and I didn't want to make it about me and..."

I giggle and place my hand on his thigh. "I understand, Tucker. What is it?"

Tucker throws on his black shirt and looks back at me.

"One of my new tracks was released earlier this week. Emily called me a few days ago and said it's gotten over two million downloads on iTunes already. The country music world is calling me a musical genius or some shit." Tucker tries to downplay his excitement by looking away.

"Wow! That's incredible, Tucker, but why do you seem unhappy about it? That's a huge accomplishment!"

"No, it is and I'm thrilled. I just... I don't know what that means for me. I thought I wanted to escape the spotlight and try to live a normal life, but again hearing how much people love my music... It just makes me question things."

My heart goes out to Tucker watching the confusion swirling in his eyes. I can't imagine what he's thinking given everything he's been through. He's so strong and put his entire life on hold the last week to be there for me. I really don't know what I would do without him. He's so imperfectly perfect, I feel the flutters of a thousand butterflies swarm in my belly when I think about what a great man he is.

"Well like you've said in the past you don't need to quit making music to live out your dream. There are plenty of artists who don't tour and remain relevant in the music industry. Do you think you're changing your mind about that?" I ask the question that I'm sure he's wrestling with.

"That's the thing. I don't know, Dixie. Emily says she has big plans for me and now that the mess with Jeffrey, Stew and my dad is over—"

"Wait, what? It's over? Have I been living under a rock? What happened?" I ask, eagerly awaiting his response.

"That's another part of what I wanted to tell you. I spoke to my parents a few days ago and my dad went to visit Jeffrey in jail. He gave my father everything he needed to countersue Stew for trying to force me out of my contract. They discovered that his treachery goes back almost twenty years and he lost his recording studio and everything that goes with it."

"Wow! I can't believe that! It's crazy that he got away with it for so long, but I'm glad your family is free of it. Did Jeffrey explain anything else?"

"Yeah, he said he knew that Iris was crossing him, but couldn't help his feelings that evolved for her. He said she planned on getting as much information from me about my father as she could that night at the after-party, but clearly, Hattie had other plans. It seems the four of them were never on the same page about their plans to destroy my career."