43: Fly with Me

TUCKER

"Damn, it's good to see you, Flintmeister! Thanks for coming."

"My boy Tucker announces that he's finally planting some roots and having a baby? I wouldn't miss it, man." Flint pats my back in a bro hug.

"This place is rad, Tuck." I give Austin and Clyde a quick hug too.

God, it's surreal to think that it's been almost eight months since we've seen each other.

"Ah, Dixie! You're positively glowing!" Aunt Betsy squeaks as the guests arrive at our home for Dixie's baby shower.

"I certainly don't feel like I am, but thank you, Betsy. I'm not sure how there's room in my belly and I still have a month to go!" I smile as I gaze at Dixie, glowing in her strapless white hi-low dress. It flawlessly shows the beautiful baby bump that I've loved singing to every night.

It's been quite a task navigating the highs and lows of pregnancy. From the cravings, to the mood swings, to the constant whining about her clothes not fitting. Honestly I wish there were a class in high school to prepare you for when your girlfriend became pregnant. It would surely be more useful than calculus right about now.

"I'm gonna take the boys out to my man cave. You, ladies, don't have too much fun now. Love you."

I kiss Dixie's forehead and throw her a quick whispered message, "You're glowing because of that hot shower session we had earlier. To be continued." I slide my hand around her backside and give it a squeeze as she squirms and clears her throat.

"Mhmm love you too, Cowboy." I tip my stetson and wave at a few of the other guests, including my mother and grandmother.

Momma was over the moon when she learned that Dixie and I were expecting. Frankly, I wasn't sure where our relationship was headed since I left Nashville. I haven't been apart from her for this long since the day I was born but she's certainly been a rock the last several months for Dixie and me. Offering us parental advice, and giving us pointers on baby products we need to invest in. Naturally, she shared several stories about me when I was a baby and things that I liked and disliked. Dixie loved hearing about it all of course.

Opening the door, I step onto the porch and smile loving this place we call home. Moving to New Haven was a huge ordeal for both of us, but I couldn't be happier watching my daisy girl excel in her passions.

The beginning consisted of a few long months crashing in a hotel but it wasn't long until our home was built. The best part is that it's exactly eighteen minutes from Yale University and man did we ever have a blast designing it. Picking out the flooring, cabinets, paint colors, it really started to feel like the next long awaited chapter of our life was coming true.

Gesturing to Austin, Flint, and Clyde to follow me out to my "recording studio", I recall the day it became more than a thought.

Dixie, being her amazing self, thought of the idea to build me this wooden shack that has become one of my new favorite places. It houses every accomplishment I've earned during my musical career and everything I need to write and play my guitar. Dixie threw in her little touches and the entire place smells like fresh lemonade which makes it an even better writing atmosphere for me.

Opening the door, I turn around and wait for them to pile in before closing it. "I appreciate y'all wanting to support baby James, but the occasion isn't really why I invited you here."

Austin gasps and throws his hand over his chest. "I'm so hurt. Listening to women talk about diapers and ogle over tiny baby clothes is exactly what I wanted to do today," he sarcastically says as we all chuckle.