8: Happy Birthday, Dixie Mae

DIXIE

"So which do you think I should go with? Red or yellow?" I ask my best friend Callie as she stares out the window of one of our favorite boutiques.

As southern women naturally, we love to shop, so it's one of Callie and I's favorite things to do together.

"Hello, Earth to Callie Rose!"

"Sorry, what were we talking about?" Callie shakes her head and whirls around to look at me.

"The dress for my twenty-first birthday party tomorrow? Are you feeling okay?" I ask, noticing a look of bewilderment written on her face.

"You know me, I'm partial to the red rose color, but yellow is your favorite. You choose, Dixie Mae."

Noting how she avoids my question and gazes back out the window, I hop down from the shop's pedestal and settle next to her. "Alright, spill." I demand as she twists her neck and gives me a strange look.

"Spill what?"

"Oh don't play coy with me, Callie Rose. We don't keep secrets from each other."

Callie takes a deep breath and fiddles with her fingers before looking back at me.

"Do you remember Tucker's bass guitarist Austin?"

"I didn't get a chance to meet him, but I've seen him, yes. Why?"

"Well, after I dropped you off at home the night of the Rose Ball I hung out with him and we've been talking since. He's really nice, Dixie and his mom went through a breast cancer battle too so we got to chatting about that and it took off from there."

"Okay, is this why you seem nervous? That sounds amazing, Callie Rose."

"Sort of. I mean, I went out with my cousin Vanessa who was in town last night and that Hattie girl was at the club. She was bragging about how she slept with Tucker. I don't know if it's true, but just now, I saw her with Austin. They seemed pretty cozy and were holding hands. What am I supposed to do? Is this girl a homewrecker and she makes it her life's mission to steal other people's guys?"

"Woah, are you and Austin at the boyfriend/girlfriend stage?"

"No, but I mean, it feels like it's headed that way. He invited me to one of their concerts. Why would he plan for the future if he's messing around with her?"

"Wow, that wasn't at all what I was expecting you to say. I thought this had to do with that guy Davis from the Rose Ball?"

"No, Davis turned out to be a creep. I know you've been in a war with yourself since yesterday when Tucker said all of those things to you, so I thought you should know what I overheard. I'm sorry, Dixie Mae." Callie places her hand on my shoulder and gives me a sympathetic look.

"Oh, don't be sorry, Callie Rose. Tucker is an adult and he's not mine so he can sleep with whoever he wants. As far as Austin goes, honesty is always the best policy, so if you like him, you should ask him about it. He'd be a fool not to see how amazing you are, Callie Rose."

Callie's lips form a glimmer of a smile. "You're right. I'm sure it's nothing. Thanks Dixie. I don't know what I would do without you."

Callie wraps her arms around me in a hug. "Have you talked to Tucker since? Austin says they're leaving tomorrow."

"No, and I'm not going to. It's better this way."

"Yeah, but Dix..."

I get to my feet and stand in front of her, trying to hide my true emotions at this moment.