Chapter 4: Basketball Match

Seokjin's first year of college...

"Will you come, Hyung? It's my final match." Taehyung asked. "I... I want you to come, I wanna see you..." Getting no reply from Seokjin made him feel more unsure. "A-are you busy, though...?" Taehyung's voice weakened. He really wanted Seokjin to come to his basketball match. He really needed to see Seokjin on the spectator bench! He needed Seokjin's hug and a good luck kiss on his forehead. Only then, he could feel calm facing a big match like this.

But Seokjin had final exams that week....

Nevertheless....

"I'll come, Tae. I promise."

.

Taehyung was agitated. He lost the ball to his opponents five times already. He couldn't seem to concentrate. His eyes kept wandering to an empty bench that was reserved for Seokjin. The coach yelled and scolded him repeatedly, but he kept making mistakes. If he kept doing this, his team would lose.

Finally, when the 2nd quarter ended, that certain bench was now occupied. And yes, Seokjin came anyway, despite having an exam on that exact same day.

Taehyung ran and flew into his embrace...

"Hyung...." His hug was so tight, Seokjin couldn't breathe.

"I'm sorry, I'm late, Tae."

"Kiss me! I need your good luck kiss!"

Seokjin smiled and kissed his forehead and wiped the sweat from his cheeks. "Go slay them, Tiger!"

Taehyung smiled and pecked Jin's cheek on the spur of the moment. "Saranghae!" He then ran back to his team. Seokjin's gaze trailed after him. His Taehyung had grown up so well. He was now as tall as him, his baby fat was almost entirely gone, and his jawline was getting more defined. Taehyung was more and more handsome each day.

***

.

In the last 2 quarters, Taehyung's team finally caught up their points and won the match, thanks to him who suddenly had a fiery energy to win.

"Hyung, come with me, we'll celebrate our victory, the coach will treat us gogi-gui [grilled meat] in the nearby restaurant." Taehyung's face brightened up. He held Jin's hands.

"Tae, I'm an outsider...I can't just come..." Seokjin glanced at the rest of the team on the far left of the court, Taehyung's teammates, their coaches, and the cheerleaders. All those strangers... All those nameless faces... Taehyung's new world that he did not know in the slightest.

"No, it's okay, we'll just take a table for two. I'll treat you."

"Tae, just go. I'm fine."

"But Hyung..."

"You can treat me some other time..." Seokjin smiled.

"TAEHYUNGA!!" One of his team members called him.

"Go! Your team's waiting for you." Seokjin pushed him gently.

"I'll go to your house after this!"

"Huh?" Seokjin didn't plan to stay the night. He planned to go back to his dorm right after this game because he also had another exam tomorrow morning.

"I won't be long! Wait for me!" Taehyung waved goodbye and ran to his team.

It seemed that Seokjin didn't have any choice. He let out a faint chuckle and got a cab to his house.

***

.

That night, Taehyung came as promised, bringing Seokjin's favorite food from the restaurant and handing it to him with a wide smile.

Seokjin actually just had his dinner half an hour ago. His mom cooked especially for him. But seeing Taehyung's cheerful smile, he did not have the heart to refuse the food he had brought. So he ate them delightedly until he was bloated and felt discomfort, while Taehyung went to the bathroom to take a shower.

"Hyung, I'm borrowing your shirt." He opened the closet and helped himself to one of Seokjin's shirts. "I'm crashing here tonight." He announced and slid himself under the duvet right beside Seokjin. His hand slithered to Seokjin's waist and hugged him tight.

*****