Chapter 1: Proposal

Present time...

"Will you marry me, Tae?" Jeon Jungkook, his boyfriend of two years, held a black velvet ring box in front of Taehyung. This proposal was not really a surprise, Taehyung knew Jungkook had planned to propose to him for some time now. But this was really the worst timing!

Taehyung looked at Jungkook, stared blankly at the silver band with a diamond stud in the box, then glanced at his cell phone. He gulped. No.... He can't. He didn't want to! He needed to be somewhere else right now!

This was supposed to be their romantic dinner when Jungkook proposed to Taehyung.... But that sudden devastating news Tae got on his phone diverted his mind elsewhere entirely. His eyes welled up in tears, but not because he was touched by Jungkook's proposal. Instead, the grave news crushed Taehyung's feelings. How could he think about anything else right now, let alone an engagement!

Jungkook knew....

Deep down, he always did. But there was no harm in trying, right?

"Can we... Can we... do this next time, Kook?" Taehyung stuttered.

Jungkook let out a heavy sigh of defeat. "You just have to answer yes, Tae..."

"I can't! I can't! How can I celebrate my engagement while Jin hyung is fighting for his life in the operating room!" Taehyung got up from his seat. He just wanted to run away to Seokjin. To see him, to hug him, to make sure that he was okay, to say that he would always be beside him in a difficult time like this. Please... His heart hurt so much just thinking about him. He felt like Jungkook's proposal had confined him to this chair right now.

Taehyung's body began to tremble from the deep urge and the helplessness.

He wanted nothing else...

Please...

Please Jungkook, let him just leave...

"It's now or never, Tae..." Jungkook pleaded. "Just say yes. We don't have to celebrate anything yet." He knew, with Seokjin now in the hospital, this might be his last chance to tie Taehyung to be his. Otherwise, Taehyung would just fly to his first love and Jungkook will lose him forever.

Taehyung shook his head. "I can't... I'm not ready..." He finally said. "I have... to see Jin Hyung... I'm sorry, Kook..." He couldn't contain his heart any longer... Nor his tears that streamed down uncontrollably.

With that, he left....

Jungkook let out a deep heavy sigh and covered his face with his palms. Brokenhearted...

He lost.

He always lost to Kim Seokjin....

*****