Bloody 40: Saving Us

Roen Astrid.

Coldness began crawling from the ground to the soles of my feet, slowly creeping and making its way through my body. I feel as if I'm walking on a thin ice that can break anytime. How devastating, isn't it? In a matter of seconds, the calmness I've built for a long period of time crumbled down to dust.

No. Maybe there is no calmness to begin with. Napasinghal ako sa aking sarili. I am a walking ball of dark energy, a ball seething with rage and fury. Every second, every minute, every flicker of the ticking clock, there was never a moment I never felt angry.

Time, I've always raced against time. Every silver of every second is crucial, and if there had been a tiniest bit of error done, my life could be at stake.

That's how it's always been.

"Miss Augustus. Come to the farthest room. Now."

A monotonous voice permeated the surroundings. I'm already used to that emotionless tone but I never thought it could sound even more colder than usual.

Nang hindi ako sumagot ay huminto siya, ang kanyang matatalim na titig ay direktang tumama sa aking mga mata. "I must've been an ineffective educator for you, Miss Augustus. It seems that my words don't hold weight on you at all."

The look in Miss Bella's eyes permitted no other options but to do as she says. Nagpakawala na lamang ako ng buntong hininga pagsara ng pintuang naghahatid sa labas ng kwartong kinalalagyan ko. She must've been itching to do this since yesterday. Kung hindi lang siya busy ay malamang hinatak na niya ko matagal na.

Napatulala ako sa kawalan.

Laying bare infront of me was a huge television screen showing the arena. With enhanced senses, I can almost hear their loud voices brimming with excitement, I can almost see the crowd, their faces, the look in their eyes.

I sighed. Today is the day of battle among the formidable senior students of Dallas Academy.

I knew this would happen. Ito ang resulta ng malaking kaguluhan kahapon. The students were in utter shock to see the strongest person in their proud academy losing control over a defenseless first-year student, even going as far as breaking the whole cafeteria. Almost.

Miss Bella and Mr. Davine controlled the situation with other faculty members as well as the elite team, making sure no one was hurt and making sure they'll keep their mouths shut about what happened. As if it wouldn't leak, sigurado akong kalat na ito sa buong academy at pati na rin sa labas. The battle of seniors is just around the corner, and I'm sure a lot of reporters are hungry to scoop every single thing happening around the campus.

That day, I was not allowed to get out from the headmaster's building. Doon ako tumuloy at natulog sa opisina ng headmaster na nasa pinakataas na floor. Miss Bella provided me with food, water, clothes and everything she said I needed. Several guards were gathered to watch over me. It was tiring. Hindi na ako sumubok pang tumakas dahil mas mabuting nandito ako kaysa bumalik sa palasyo. I'm certain it already reached her ears. Lily will surely cry and complain to her old bitch.

I shook my head. Hindi na dapat ako magtagal pa rito. Miss Bella was still angry because I never showed up from the last times she called me in her office. Hindi ako nakakapunta sapagkat palaging may nangyayari. She must've lost her patience with me.

Paglabas ko ay agad hinanap ng aking mga mata ang pinakadulong kwartong binanggit ni Miss Bella. The backstage of Dallas Arena was wide and filled with rooms. Pakurba ito kaya hindi ko matanaw ang dulong kwarto.

Napakunot ang noo ko nang makita ang paligid. The hall outside was surprisingly quiet. There were no staffs nor students around. It was not what I expected. Parang kanina lang ay ang daming yapak ng paa at tunog ng boses na maririnig mula rito.