➸ 8

Maude's POV

I sat alone in the cafeteria after school and ate some candy.

My friends were supposed to meet me here so we could carpool home together, but they were running late. I sat alone and thought about my week. Well, I thought about Felix. I hadn't been able to stop thinking about him at week.

Through the large glass doors that led to the cafeteria, I could see Jack approaching.

Jack had a full mop of coily brown hair and bright green eyes that contrasted against his bronzed skin. I thought Jack was good looking, but it was obscured by his thick glasses and strangeness.

Although he was full of idiosyncrasies, I really did enjoy being around him. He was funny, and he was a breath of fresh air compared to my usual friends.

As Jack walked into the cafeteria, I waved at him and gestured for him to join me.

"What's Maude Sinclair doing sitting all by herself?" Jack asked as he sat beside me.

"Maude Sinclair is waiting for her ride home."

"You know for $20 I could drive you," Jack offered.

"I'd rather get an uber," I joked.

Jack laughed and took out some papers and pencils.

"Are you going to stay here to work?" I asked.

"Yeah, my friend and I are going to study here."

By 'friend' I knew he meant Felix.

It made me feel quite sad that Jack only hung out with Felix. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to not have a big group of friends. Being social was like breathing to me.

People in our grade seemed to think Jack was a freak but I didn't understand why. He was better than all the people that made fun of him.

"Hey," I began, "are you doing anything tomorrow?"

Jack's bright eyes light up.

"Do you wanna hang out?" He eagerly asked.

I nodded, "it's the weekend, why not?"

"I'd love to..." Jack trailed off, "wait I can't, I made plans."

"Maybe Sunday then?" I suggested.

"Well, you can join in on my plans tomorrow, actually. I was just planning on getting dinner with my friend Felix, but the more the merrier."

My eyes bulged a little. The thought of having another dinner with Felix was exciting.

"I'd love to, but do you think he'd be okay with that?" I said.

"Yeah of course! Why wouldn't he be?" Jack naively replied.

"I guess I'll go then. Just text me the details."

Jack took out his phone and began to text me.

By the cafeteria doors, I saw my friends approaching.

I had been friends with the same people since middle school so high school simply felt like an extension of the same community that I had always known.