➸ 11

Maude's POV

Vibrant pop music hit my ears the second I stepped foot into Logan's house.

My step-mom had picked me up from the diner and dropped me off at Logan's birthday bash.

This year, no expense was spared. His foyer was decorated with an elaborate black and gold balloon arch and lacrosse themed decorations hung on the wall

As I navigated the busy party to find my friends, I was greeted by my peers along the way and took pictures with people in my social circle.

I felt bad about ditching Jack and Felix to be here, but I knew my friends would kill me if I didn't make an appearance.

Logan was one of the richest students in our grade and it was very apparent by the way his house looked.

His family lived in a large modern house on the outskirts of our town in a gated neighbourhood. Instead of the traditional walls most people had, their house had tall glass windows and sleek wood partitions.

I had been to this house many times before, but it's extravagance never ceased to amaze me.

At the top of the stairs, I saw Logan observing the party. His eyes flitted towards me so I looked away.

By the kitchen, I saw Lara getting drink refills. She looked so gorgeous. Her normally straight blonde hair was curled and she was wearing a bright pink bodycon dress.

"Why are you so late?" Lara yelled into my ear.

I hugged her as a greeting.

"I'm fashionably late," I yelled back.

The music was so loud that yelling was the only way to hear each other.

Lara said something nonsensical then maniacally laughed. She was so obviously drunk.

I took the red cup she was holding away from her. Letting a drunk girl drink more alcohol was a recipe for disaster.

"How many have you had?!" I asked.

"I stopped counting after 5," Lara said through giggles.

"Let's go, Lara. We can wait upstairs for my mom to get us."

After struggling to climb the stairs, we entered the only vacant room we found. Logan's room.

Being in Logan's room made me feel perversely uncomfortable, but we didn't have any options. I had been here before many times. Seeing it again was painful.

As soon as Lara saw the bed she immediately collapsed and slept like a baby. Her phone slipped out of her hands and onto the dark wooden floors.

I sighed as I picked it up and checked for cracks.

No cracks.

Her phone immediately turned on when I touched it and it's home screen flashed before me. A single notification caught my eye.

It was a text from Michaelson asking to hook up again.

Michaelson was Chrissy's crush...

The revelation made my heart drop. Had Lara seriously betrayed Chrissy? We all knew how much Chrissy liked him.

The 'again' at the end of the text meant it had happened before. Did that mean while Chrissy was gushing about Michaelson, Lara was secretly sleeping with him?

I felt disappointed, but I was still going to look after Lara for the night.

I placed Lara's metallic phone in her bag and turned it off. I didn't want to know.

"Hey," a deep voice whispered.

I looked up to see Logan standing by the door. His normally neat blond hair was a fluffy mess and his face was tomato red.

"I'm leaving. Lara passed out and I'm getting us a ride," I replied.

"I could drive you."

"Are you even sober?" I asked.

I expected Logan to laugh or give me a witty reply but instead he gave me a look of complete defeat. I realized that he looked so messed up because he was upset. It looked like he had been crying.

"Don't leave, you just got here," he whined.

He didn't sound as aggressive as he normally did, he sounded desperate.

"I've been here for long enough."

"I threw this party so that you would come."

He threw the party for me? My jaw slightly dropped.

"I just want you to like me again," Logan said quietly. His voice cracked.

I didn't know what to say.

I looked at Lara who was still asleep as I tried to think of something - anything - that I could say.

"You ghosted me," I replied.

Logan walked towards me and kneeled on the ground in front of where I was sitting. As he looked up at me, I could see a world of pain in his eyes. I knew I wasn't the only reason why he was upset on his own birthday.

"Logan what's wrong?" I asked.

"I know I'm a bad person okay," he cried, "but I can't change. I'm just like my dad. Now I'm at this party I don't want, and I fucked it up with the only person who accepts me as a person."

"You're not just like your dad, and you can change."

Logan shrugged his head.

"I keep making mistakes. I'm failing school. I can't focus on anything," he muttered.

I felt hesitant to comfort Logan, but seeing how sad he was only made my heart hurt. I wished he could see how great.

"You're the most hardworking person I know."

"You're the only person that believes in me. My friends think I'm stuck up and my parents think I'm an idiot and I keep being an asshole. I can't help it. I'm a fuck up."

I put my hand on Logan's shoulder. His shoulder was tense and muscular.

"You can't be sad on your birthday," I sighed.

Logan raised himself and sat on the bed beside me. He looked deep into my eyes which made my stomach flutter.

A part of me wanted to kiss him, but I knew I couldn't do it.

He put his hand on my waist and slowly leaned in, but I stopped him at the last minute.

"I can't do this," I said.

I quickly got off the bed and stood up.

Logan simply looked at me, then left the room.