Chapter 15

Sonic wasn't surprised it seemed my fears were obvious but he did seem hurt after what I said, opening up wasn't easy. He wasn't sure what to say but telling by his reaction he seemed to believe that I belonged here he just couldn't find the words struggling to find what to say I got up not wanting to talk anymore, he didn't try to stop me though he just watched as I turned to leave heading back to the room, he sighed before getting up and heading into the kitchen before making some food.
I laid on my side facing away from the door it was dark I didn't bother turning the light on but the covered window was letting in some light despite the blinds and curtains. Not feeling like doing anything other than lay on the bed, it reminded me of being in isolation except I wasn't asleep, wide awake staring ahead at nothing but the wall, it wasn't like I didn't have anything to do I just chose to lay in one spot most my time since I was brought to Sonic's home.
I wasn't sure how long it's been but Sonic sat beside me on the bed.
" I get it's been tough for you, I know what it's like though to lose others, but I never regret the time I spent with the ones I'm close to, both my parents died when I was young, my uncle took me in. I didn't want to say anything before, I can't exactly relate to the raid you went through or anything GUN put you through but I have my own terrors but it didn't exactly change me.  Being a hero though is no easy task. "
I listened to him not exactly caring that he was beside me seemed he understood what I was going through somewhat at least.

" I save lives but there's so many I couldn't there were some close calls but also I was late at times... ok more than just a few, I was late saving you once..." Sonic trailed off  I knew he was talking about the time we stopped the ark from falling back when we first met.  We looked at one another before I decided to respond.

" that wasn't your fault, you wouldn't of been able to make it back with me anyway, I made my choice and look where it got us. Nothing really changed for the better on my part... still seen as some kind of monster despite my best efforts trying to move on with my life..... Everything I was told was a lie back on the ark, wanting badly for Maria to get better only for it all to get taken away... that was the first time I knew true fear... I doubt you truly understand what happened you say that as though you know how I feel."

His expression changed ears lowered after everything that was said, I mainly wanted to be left alone now but he didn't seem to be alone again after I opened up a bit more but I was done talking, I sensed he was curious about something but  he got up and went to the kitchen. He came back but I was asleep when he came back to check on me which was an hour later Sonic sat down on the bed before putting a hand on my shoulder causing me to wake up instantly I slapped his hand away hard before sitting up. I won't admit it but I was a touch starved though I wasn't one to go through with it, since being isolated I wasn't used to not getting attention I missed the hugs and pat on the head, my quills being stroked but I couldn't allow to do that now... It wasn't like I was treated as a pet on the ark I was mostly treated like everyone else other than the pets, pats, and gentle strokes to my quills, Maria and Gerald mostly did this it was calming for me despite being a lab experiment I was still treated as a person though I was similar to a mobian hedgehog which is what Sonic is considered as.

Sonic jerked his hand away after the slap, hurt by my action.

" Don't touch me." I growled but after seeing he was hurt I calmed myself down.
" Sorry... I didn't mean to."
He sighed but relaxed.
" It's ok Shadow."
Still I felt bad, it was an accident I just didn't like being touched much, not after what they did... Maria, Gerald, and the scientists on the ark were ok though I actually used to like being hugged, Pat on the head, or even scratched behind the ears but since GUN got a hold on me everything changed.. I didn't have the heart to open up about it especially to Sonic, no one else knew, I kept everything to myself, it's been difficult. I hugged my knees close to my chest remembering everything that occurred after arriving to prison island, glass shards being pulled out of my fur, quills and skin, awakening due to one shard that was edged into my arm, a yell escaped me.
This wasn't the reason as to why though so many things occurred there this was only the first to many of the nightmares I had to face during my time before the isolation.

I could tell Sonic hadn't left probably feared I'd have another attack like before but no...

I don't remember every detail of what happened during my time back before Gerald died....   Sonic continued to stay beside me even as I sat like this for a while hugging my knees still, my legs had fallen asleep. Sonic was patiently waiting for something but nothing happened. I didn't feel like talking to him anymore on my past, protecting him mostly from myself.

Then something happened outside my ears twitched slightly something fell from miles away I stood up but stumbled Sonic caught me before I fell I accepted the grab of my arm this time he seemed to of picked up on the sound too once I was standing he dashed off outside only to run back.
" Shadow... something big is going on out there, creatures are falling from the sky." Sonic was frantic he darted out again this time I followed....