23. you killed me

CHAPTER TWENTY—THREE

TW: death, blood, loss of a child

LUCERYS often pondered on his life

LUCERYS often pondered on his life. The land he would one day inherit as well as wedding his betrothed so she could rule Driftmark by his side.

But that would mean his family were dead.

He often thought of his sister, Daemerys and how he missed her presence in Dragonstone. He remembered how she read to him and told him tales of the adventures she had been on during her time with Lord Corlys. He was proud of her and the person she had become, she was married now and was having a child of her own — another person to care about and cherish.

Lucerys had a fear of death. Lucerys had a fear of the sea. Lucerys had a fear of ruining everything. But he didn't fear anything when he was with his sister. It was a peculiar thing, she was only partly blood related to him and yet they shared a bond stronger than any form of blood.

The boy looked up from the carved-in war map, hand trailing over Driftmark with a focused glance before it was interrupted by his mother, Rhaenyra waltzing in, "The Sea Snake is going to die isn't he?".

Rhaenyra sighed and looked away, "Luke—".

"I cannot be Lord of the Tides", he interrupted, "Grandsire was the greatest sailor who ever lived. I get greensick before the ship even leaves the harbour", Rhaenyra stood as the boy went on, taking in his words, "I'll just ruin everything. I don't want Driftmark. It should've passed on to Ser Vaemond".

As soon as the words were uttered he thought of Daemerys and how she would scold him, especially since she was the one to murder him but his mother beat her to the scolding, "We don't choose our destiny, Luke. It chooses us".

"Grandsire let you choose whether you'd be his heir. You told us so".

Rhaenyra nodded with a sigh before walking around the table to meet her son, "And do you want to know the truth of it?", she didn't let him respond, "I was frightened".