Chapter 12: New Friends, Bigger Family

Time has passed, and everyone is at the baseball field, playing some baseball.

Sonic is at the table being the announcer, "It's truly a beautiful day for baseball here in Green Hills. An exciting lineup today with the debut appearance of two new players!"

At the pitcher's mound is Tails.

Sonic continues, "On the mound, rookie sensation from across the galaxy: Miles 'Tails' Prower! Facing off against the powerhouse: Knuckles the Echidna."

Knuckles is at home plate, holding a baseball and ready to bat. Eve is standing behind home plate as plate catcher.

Knuckles looks at the ball with a confused look, "I don't understand. Why am I angry at the enemy ball?

You're not angry. You just want to hit it as hard as you can and then run around the bases," Sonic says.

But Knuckles is still confused and asks, "But if my quest ends where I am standing, why run at all?"

"I can't with this guy. Why do I even try?" Sonic mutters to himself as he places his hand over his face.

At the outer field, Maddie, Tom, and Jazz are the players and ready to catch the ball.

"This is just a game. We're out here having fun," Maddie calls out.

"Just having some fun," Tom says.

"Fun. Huh," Knuckles says.

Eve says, "That's right. The point is to hit the ball and run around the bases before the player can touch you with the ball. If they do that, you're out. Good advice, try to run one plate at a time before the player can get to you. And if you manage to hit the ball over the fence, it's a home run. Just make sure to hit the ball as hard as you can.

Knuckles nods his head, "Okay."

Then Sonic says through the microphone, "All right! Give him the heat, Tails!

"Hope you're ready for my fastball," Tails says.

"Your fastball will be dishonored, and so will you, fox," Knuckles says and positions himself to hit the ball.

Maddie calls out, "Easy, guys!"

"Hey, don't think about it too much. Just keep your elbow up, eye on the ball and give it a ride," Tom says.

"A ride, to where?" Knuckles asks.

Eve laughs, "Not literally. Just focus on hitting the ball as hard as you can.

Tails proceeds to wind his arm, tosses the ball into the air and grabs it with his twin-tails. He then throws the ball with his twin-tails right at Knuckles.

Seeing the ball closing in, Knuckles shouts, "Power bump!"

Knuckles uses his energized fist to punch the ball straight towards Tails. Tails yelps and ducks his head, and the ball goes right through the scoreboard.

"Ha! Victory is mine!" Knuckles shouts in victory and begins running around the bases.

"Hey, no fair! That shouldn't count," Tails says, after lifting his head back up.

Soon, Knuckles reaches first base, "First base is also mine!"

Eve laughs, "What a knucklehead. When I told him to hit the ball as hard as he can, I didn't mean that hard.

"I think that was our only ball," Tom says.

Jazz nods, "Chao.

Knuckles soon reaches second base, "I have conquered the second of the bases!"

"Alright," Maddie says.

She then calls out, "Who wants ice cream?"

"Knocked the cover off that," Tom says.

Sonic is soon happy, "Ice cream!"

"Ice cream, yeah!" Tails says.

"Chao Chao," Jazz happily replies.

And in no time, Knuckles reaches home plate, "I am having the fun!"

Then Knuckles asks, "What is ice cream?"

"It's a dessert. If you like fun, you're gonna love it," Sonic says.

"Oh, yum. Dessert," Knuckles replies, taking an interest.

Then asks, "Does it have grapes in it?"

Eve thinks a bit, "Hmm. No, not usually."

Meanwhile, Tom says to Maddie, "I'm proud of our little guys."

"I really like his new friends, especially the red one. He cracks me up," Maddie says.

"Heck of a swing too," Knuckles says.

Then Knuckles scoop Tails and Eve and each each of them on his shoulders, "Come on, Eve and fox. Our dessert adventure awaits."

"Good job, guys," Maddie says.

Ozzy walks to Maddie, and she pets him, "You too, baby. Let's go get some ice cream. Come on, come on."

Tom kneels to Sonic and says, "I'm happy for you, pal. Both of you. Got your wingmen. Perfect friends to grow up with."

Sonic and Tom watch the others get into the truck.

"Come on, Knuckles," Tails says.

"Ah. My victory chariot!" Knuckles says and leaps up into the back of the truck, making it shake.

Eve giggles, "It's a truck not a chariot."

Jazz laughs as she sits on Tails' head.

"I've got a lot more than that... Dad," Sonic says with a smile.

The two look at each other and smile.

Then Tom says, "Race you to the truck. One, two, three, go!" and Tom races off, "No, don't go easy on me! I want your best!"

Sonic then zooms past Tom as he makes a cool pose on the truck before sliding in with Eve and the others. Tom and Maddie soon enter the front seat of the truck,

"Sonic, I have just been told they have sprinkles," Knuckles says.

"Ice cream and sprinkles? This is your new destiny," Sonic says.

Tom starts the engine and begins to drive the truck off.

"What a perfect meal to celebrate my victory over you in base of ball," Knuckles says.

"What?" Tails says, confused.

Jazz is also confused, "Chao?"

"I mean, you barely beat me," Sonic says.

Knuckles lets out a laugh, "Ha! You've never been beaten so hard."

Eve laughs, "You've beaten him hard alright."

As the group drives away, they end up leaving a blue ice chest cooler with the Master Emerald lying within.

Sonic speeds back to the cooler, "Can't forget this."

Sonic then grabs the cooler and runs off to catch up with the others.