Chapter 26

Oh.

Normally I would have said, "What's this?" And I would have pretended to try not to accept it at one point, but I was so absorbed in Reynos' act of affection that I immediately accepted.

Reflexively, I said, "Thank you." I opened the lid while thanking him, revealing an open pink-gold bracelet with a pinkish tint.

In the center of the bracelet was a navy blue iolite delicately worked into a floral pattern. It seemed to have been matched in this way, perhaps taking into account my hair and eye color.

I smiled at his meticulousness.

"It's really pretty. I love it."

"I'm glad you like it."

"Can you put it on?"

When asking with my wrist out, Reynos, who nodded and agreed, picked up the bracelet. Then, in a moment, he flinched and darkened.

"Did he do this?"

"Pardon?"

I checked where his eyes were touching.

Duval grabbed it so hard earlier that I still had hand marks on my wrist.

"Oh, this."

I outlined what had happened before Reynos came in an insignificant tone.

His golden eyes, which were filled with kindness, cooled down. His voice sank low as if it had been crushed by something.

"How dare he do such a thing."

"Yes, well, he's always been like that, so I'm not surprised."

"I should have split his wrist. Come to think of it, Essit just filed an application for permission to use the trade route..."

"Pardon?"

"Nothing."

Reynos, who was muttering to himself with a scary expression, smiled brightly.

He grabbed my wrist as carefully as if I were a newborn chick and put his lips on the red part.

"...!"

The breath I could feel through my skin was gentle. I shivered involuntarily with an indescribable feeling.

Reynos stared at me like that but did not remove his lips.

The moment I met his golden eyes.

I couldn't even catch my breath because of the strange oppressive sensation as if I was being eaten whole.

I couldn't turn my eyes to him without noticing the disappearance of the handprint on my wrist.

Slowly he peeled off his lips and whispered quietly.

"You're not hurt anymore, are you?"

"P-pardon?"

"Are you hurt?"

If I said it hurt, he was going to press his lips again.

Since I had never been hurt in the first place, I hid my wrist behind my back and shook my head hurriedly.

"No, it doesn't hurt."

"That's a relief."

Reynos, who smiled lightly, picked up the bracelet. And he urged me to give him my hand.

... Why did I ask him to put it on himself?

After a moment of thought, I reached out my opposite hand. I thought it was a little warm, but soon the cold metal wrapped around my wrist.