Chapter 160

I listened to Knox's words with one ear and glanced at the mirror, noticing that it was cracked around the edges.

Its pristine state had been marred, likely a result of Reynos's potent abilities. Could this fissure hold the key to defeating Knox?

"Your Highness, is it possible to break this mirror?"

"Huh? Uh-huh"

Reynos replied, confused by my sudden question.

I looked around for something to use as a weapon. If I had known this would happen, I would have brought a hammer from home.

"Little Marquis Lavirins!"

Oh, that would be nice.

Disregarding Knox's remark, I seized the strikingly white, intricately adorned membrane from the corner of the room.

Its faint aroma of holy water pervaded the air, though I resolved to wield it for my purpose.

In a daring decision, I contemplated sacrificing myself to shatter the demonic mirror, envisioning the holy entity within taking pride in such an act.

Die, you bastard who torments my Reynos!

Knox exclaimed hastily as the future me decided to take care of the rest and lifted the stick high.

「You can't break me with that!」

Really?

I glanced at Reynos with that implication, and he, whose eyes were shaken by my sudden action, nodded awkwardly.

'Shit.'

I clicked my tongue and put the stick down with a shrug.

Then I clasped my hands nervously behind my back, as if I'd done something outrageous.

「Are you-are you really Little Marquis Lavirins?」

I didn't answer this time, lest I be mesmerized, and Knox, who was staring at me, burst out laughing.

「Aha... That's why you kept going back in time, for that girl who looked like my sister, to save her!」

Then he leaned closer to the mirror and whispered to me like a snake.

「Do you think the Crown Prince is really in love with you? No, he is only being nice to you because you resemble a certain woman.」

"Don't talk nonsense!"

Reynos shouted in exasperation. Knox didn't let that stop him.

「The Crown Prince is incapable of love, for he can never forget a woman who is already dead and gone. Do you think there is a piece of you in his heart? You'd be lucky if there was even a trace!」

"Shut up! My lady, don't listen!"

「One thing's for sure, the crown prince must be quite fond of your shell. Even I mistook you for my sister for a moment.」

Uttering words that could have inflicted pain had I not been aware of the situation, Knox's lips curled into a smooth smirk.

Suddenly, an artificial aroma of roses wafted from the mirror, and my consciousness began to waver, akin to navigating through a dream.

Observing my vacant gaze, Reynos ceased his assault on the mirror, promptly enveloping me in an urgent embrace.

"No!"

「You will never defeat me as long as you remain in my sister's shadow!」

As soon as Reynos stopped attacking, the mirror was restored in an instant. Knox shouted triumphantly from the restored mirror.