Neteyam

Neteyam and Kiri stayed up with their mother unwrapping the flowers out of their plastic wraps and retying them with pink and white ribbons. His hands were covered with scratches from rose thorns. He sat in his car now, applying Tuk's hello kitty band aids to his fingers. They were all he had in the car. Lo'ak looked over and scoffed. "You should have helped us," Neteyam muttered, ignoring him. "He and Tsireya were facetiming all night," Kiri quipped, grinning. Lo'ak shot her a look. "Awe, how sweet," Neteyam teased, smiling. "Whatever. It was mostly just watching her and the other two hold sister." Neteyam snorted. "The other two," he repeated, shaking his head. "How did you know that?" Lo'ak whispered, sticking his head in the backseat. "Because I could hear you giggling like a little girl," Kiri answered. "Also, she told me." Lo'ak's face lit up. "She did?" he asked, grinning. Kiri rolled her eyes and nodded.

Neteyam beat Reya and Ao'nung to their anatomy class. He was on his phone, about to text and ask if they were coming, when Ao'nung dropped into the seat next to him. Neteyam opened his mouth to ask him how Iolana was, but before he could, Ao'nung looked him directly in the eyes. Neteyam could see his own face reflected in Ao'nung's dilated pupils. He felt the words die in his throat. He closed his mouth, clearing his throat and looking away.

"Why did you act like that yesterday?" he whispered softly, looking around to see if anyone was watching them. "You said not to tell Lo'ak," Neteyam answered hesitantly, caught off guard by his question. "No, I know, but you seemed kinda-" Ao'nung paused. "Acting like you hate me feels more suspicious. Like, Lo'ak would probably pick up on that before he would guess, you know," he gestured aimlessly with his hands. Neteyam felt guilty for telling Kiri. Ao'nung had deliberately asked him not to. Perhaps that was why he felt it was so important to keep it from Lo'ak. "I'm sorry," Neteyam whispered. "No, don't- I don't want you to feel bad, Teyam," Ao'nung muttered. Neteyam blinked and turned his head to look at him. Had he just called him Teyam? For some reason, that meant something. "But I am sorry," Neteyam said, leaning in slightly. He pretended not to notice Ao'nung abruptly turn away and look around the classroom, searching for someone who might have seen them.

Tsireya walked through the door then. Ao'nung glanced back at him briefly. "I don't hate you," Neteyam whispered, turning his body away but whispering loud enough for Ao'nung to hear. He saw Ao'nung look down at his hands and smile. "Hi, guys," Tsireya breathed, setting her metal water bottle down on the table with a thunk. "Hey," Neteyam replied, smiling up at her. "How's your mother?" he asked as she settled into her seat. "She is very good. Apparently, the nurses gave her, and I quote, "the good drugs" during her labor." Tsireya laughed softly, pulling out her laptop. Neteyam grinned. "That's good," he nodded. "You guys are bringing flowers by tonight, right?" she asked, looking up at Neteyam. "Yeah. My dad's bringing kebab to grill for you guys too, I think. I heard him talking about it with Tonowari on the phone last night." "Oo! Nice!" Tsireya beamed, looking at her brother expectantly. "Yeah, nice," Ao'nung mumbled, staring down at his phone. His hair was tied back in a single french braid today. Neteyam wondered if he did it himself, or if Tsireya did. Perhaps Ronal did. He made a mental note to ask later.

During study hall, Ao'nung sat at his table, copying Neteyam's notes from econ. Neteyam read his book and acted like he wasn't watching Ao'nung's hands and arms move as he wrote. Every so often, he would look around them, making sure nobody was watching. As far as Neteyam could tell, they were the only two in the entire library, aside from the little librarian who sat at the desk all the way across the room. Ao'nung's braid hung over his shoulder, resting on the table. His hair tie was bright pink. Ao'nung looked up suddenly. Neteyam blinked and quickly looked down at his book, hoping he didn't notice. "Did anything cool happen while I was gone?" Ao'nung asked quietly, resting his cheek on the surface of the table. "Not really. Spider sat with us at lunch." Ao'nung blinked. "Really?" "Yeah. He also gave Kiri a ride home yesterday. That's why she wasn't at the flower shop." Ao'nung nodded slowly. "Do you think he's cool?" Ao'nung asked. "Spider? I mean, he's alright. It's obvious he likes my sister, which is always uncomfortable." Ao'nung snorted. "Dude, it totally is. I hate it when guys do that with Reya. I hate seeing how uncomfortable it makes her." Neteyam nodded in agreement. "Wait, you don't feel that way about Lo'ak, do you?" Ao'nung picked his head up and looked over at Neteyam. "He doesn't make Tsireya uncomfortable," he said, shaking his head. Neteyam grinned. "Good."

Ao'nung was reading his book now, too. He propped his head up on his hand, leaning over the table as he read. Neteyam held his own book in his lap, trying his best to read. Ao'nung was very close to him. Not actually, but to Neteyam, having Ao'nung less than a foot and a half away felt very, very close. He glanced over at him. Neteyam froze, seeing Ao'nung already looking at him. He gazed up at him from his resting spot, low over the table. His gaze was surprisingly warm and gentle. Neteyam felt his chest heat. "Hi," Ao'nung whispered, blinking. His eyelashes were so long. Neteyam seemed unable to force words from his lips as the corners of Ao'nung's mouth lifted slightly. "Hey," he murmured finally, blinking hard. He realized he had been leaning closer to him subconsciously. He leaned back against the seat, dropping his book down to his lap. Ao'nung's eyes followed the book's path before flickering back up to Neteyam's face. Such a simple look, so innocent. Ao'nung certainly meant nothing by it. He most certainly would be disgusted by the way Neteyam's mind raced at such an insignificant glance. Ao'nung kept his eyes locked on Neteyam's face. He tilted his head to the side inquisitively, as if he was studying him.  Neteyam felt himself start to flush, creeping up his neck slowly. He stared back, determined not to be the first to look away. Ao'nung grinned and sat up, looking at Neteyam with playful eyes before going back to his book.