15 The Prisoner

Cal's place is awesome. Each room he shows me is more impressive than the last. There is a rooftop bar that we take a spiral staircase to get to. A full spa with a massage area, sauna, and jacuzzi. A game room with retro arcade machines. And a variety of themed bedrooms. I think the safari and 70s TV show rooms are my favorites.

I think we are all done with the tour until we arrive at a door tucked away at the end of a dark hallway behind the kitchen. Cal stops and looks at me.

"Most of NP has been to my house for parties or feasts or cookouts. Every time a new Santa is inducted, this lodge grows to accommodate. However, this room's existence is only known by two living people: me and Louie."

"Cal," I start. I know I rang the bell for honesty, but I am not sure if I should be learning the age-old secrets of the Claus men.

He waves me off and pulls an ancient-looking skeleton key from his shorts pocket. I am bewildered for a second. No other room in the house was locked. The door opens with a creak and a strange-smelling gale rushes us.

"This is the oldest room in this house. Watch your step," he says, disappearing into the dark doorway.

His warning makes immediate sense when I realize I am descending stairs–old stone steps. They zig-zag back and forth for three flights before we land on solid ground. It is almost pitch dark. The smell, I've decided, is a mix of old books and lavender and what I think is sex. I bump softly into his back not realizing he has stopped. Static rises although my body, for Cal takes my hand in his and gives it a squeeze.

"It's me, Calvin Benjamin Santos Claus the third," my lover announces into the abyss. "It's a whole thing. I'll tell you about it sometime."

All around the room, candelabras come to life with dancing flames. Rows of shelves and counter space come into view. However, more questions about Cal's genealogy than the magic of self-lighting candles come to mind.

"This is the vault. Important, infamous, and powerful artifacts collected over centuries to protect Christmas and, more specifically, mankind."

My mouth hangs ajar. As I walk up and down the rows, I see swords, potions, and wands. There are peculiar embalmed creatures and jewels that seem to be chanting. I pick up a pocket watch that has a red heart engraved on its case.

I hold it up. "This isn't the–"

"Yup. Snagged it from the white hare myself. It can..."

I turned its dial and Cal went silent. I find him as frozen as a statue. His mouth opened, telling me its power, but I have put two and two together on my own. I walk around him and take his pose in. He is midstep pointing at me. I observe every muscle in his arm, his shoulders. His back calf is pumped; front quad is engaged. Succulent package swayed to one side. I want nothing more than to run my hands all over his body. But I don't. I resist. 

Welp, that is why this toy is so dangerous. Not everyone would resist their urges if they had access to a people freezer.

I wonder why would the rabbit would ever be worried about being late if he could control time.

I crank the crown back the other way and Cal comes back to life.

"...stop time in a small range." He pauses and sees my grin. "But, I am assuming you just found that out."

I nod and place the watch back on the counter. At this moment, I decide I do not need to touch anything else in this room. My attention is elsewhere anyways. At the back of the room, something catches my eye.

Crimson light cascades through rod iron. I move towards it like a moth hypnotized by a streetlight. My hands grasp the bars. Not doubting it's a prison cell. Inside the gate, there are a variety of items that catch my gaze: chains, ropes, gags, cuffs, and even an X-cross. I feel Cal take a spot beside me.