17 New Plans for New Year's

My stomach growls as Cal and I take our seats at the cute little steakhouse in downtown Airy Gap. It's already after nine and I feel the buzz from my two gin and tonics from the restaurant bar. We planned a quiet New Year's Eve together away from the hustle and bustle of the NP. No mobs of elves. No annual Northern NYE festival. Just he and I. It was his suggestion actually. He insisted he didn't mind missing the elven shindigs and celebratory ogries, and I was excited to have him all to myself.

In the past week, we had very little personal time together. Between his handsome man helpers always being around, HQ needing him for planning and decision-making, and trying to unravel the mystery of why Christmas ranked so unsuccessfully this year, Cal definitely needed to step away for a night.

So, we grabbed the last dinner and dance package at the Swine & Vine and planned to fill our bellies with delicious food, drink until we were silly, and dance our faces off before cheersing at midnight. We could stumble home to my place and fall asleep in each other's arms.

As nothing in my life goes as planned, we aren't even through our appetizers when Travis comes in and takes a seat a couple of tables away–alone. The restaurant isn't very big, so there was no avoiding seeing each other. I give him a pleasant wave and a smile. Cal notices and turns his head to see who I am motioning to. He grins and gives his own jolly salute. Apprehensively, Travis waves back.

"I forgot how sexy Travis is," Cal says, turning back to me.

"Yes. And he is so nice," I say.

We chat a bit about one of the elves that work at the NP bakery. Cal and I are both convinced the baker uses magic to make his cookies so addictive. My eyes dart between Cal and Travis every so often. Our friend eats his soup and it doesn't seem as if anyone is going to join him. This makes me sad. He is much too good of a guy to spend tonight on his own.

"Go say hi," Cal says.

"What?" I ask, but we both know I know what he is talking about.

"Don't play dumb. You two have something. At the very least, you care for him as a friend and are unhappy he is here alone. So, go say hello."

I reach across the table and squeeze his hand as a thank you. He is so confident and judgeless.

"How are you so damn cool?" I ask, getting up from my spot.

I sit down across from Travis. He looks up from his soup and gives me a bashful smile. It is cute–my pants stir a bit.

"Hello there, stud," he says.

"Hey, handsome," I reply. "What's a hot thing like yourself doing here solo?"

He lets out a soft chuckle.

"To be honest, I got a pair of tickets for you and me."

Shit. My cheeks go hot.

"Travis." I start.

"Hey, don't sweat it, Ryan. I just wanted to be sure we had a plan if we were hanging out during New Year's. When I hadn't heard from you in a week, I assumed things went well with Cal."

Travis and I both look over at Cal. He must feel our eyes on him, for he turns and gives us a big smile.

"I invited a friend of mine from Philly to come tonight," Travis continues. "He canceled last minute and I decided to come anyway. I didn't think you'd be here to see me looking like a loser by myself, though."

We both give this a little laugh.

"I'm the loser. I treated you badly. When I thought Cal was stringing me along," I admit.